Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I have urine test done this morning. And the test result

Customer Question

I have urine test done this morning . And the test result showed UA HGB --0.20(2+)
JA: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?
Customer: And KETONES,UA-- 5(TRACE).
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have history of boold in urine for many years.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 16 days ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Did the lab also perform a microscopic examination of the urine?

Were you having any symptoms for which the test was done this morning?

What evaluation has been done to determine the cause of blood in the urine that you have had for many years?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I don't know . On that catagorie, it said "TO FOLLOW" .
I had no symptoms at all. I ask to my doctor this test along with my blood test .
Whenever the test show blood in urine, my doctor said a lot of people had this symp***** *****ke I have . But I had cystoscope last year, it showed normal.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
That is ok. I will talk with my doctor some day.

The primary cause of a positive test for Hgb (hemoglobin) is because of blood in the urine. However, the microscopic examination, though, is the test that will be able to say with certainty whether there is blood in the urine.

The urine test for hemoglobin can also be positive if there is myoglobin in the urine. If the microscopic examination does not show any red blood cells in the urine, then the positive Hgb test is typically due to myoglobin. Myoglobin is a similar protein to hemoglobin, but is present in muscles. If there is any muscle problem, then it can cause this pattern of result.

If the microscopic examination shows red blood cells, then this is a continuation of the chronic problem that you have been having with blood in the urine. It is good that you have had a cystoscopy, but a complete evaluation would typically also include evaluation of the upper urinary tract, such as with a CT scan.

The trace ketones is not an issue, and usually indicates that you should be drinking more fluids.

Have you had a CT scan done of the upper urinary tract?

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 15 days ago.

I have not heard back from the request for information about a CT scan.

If the microscopic exam shows red blood cells and a CT scan has not been done, that would be the next step.