Benjamin Isakson
Benjamin Isakson,
Experience:  Physician at Exer Urgent Care
96559503

I have insomnia due to stress and anxiety from worrying

Customer Question

I have insomnia due to stress and anxiety from worrying about sleeping. It started after a long 10 hour flight back to the states. Last night I took 1 mg of xanax and 150 mg of trazodone just to fall asleep. It worked but now I am super groggy. Is this safe to take for one night and what else can I take to sleep that's non habit forming. Benadryl and NyQuil don't work for me.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Benjamin Isakson replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm so sorry to hear about your difficulty sleeping.

Ambien (also called zolpidem) is a prescription medication that can be used to help patients fall asleep, and is usually taken at doses of 5 to 10 mg. It is very helpful for a lot of patients with insomnia.

Melatonin is a sleep hormone our bodies produce that you can buy over the counter and some patients find this incredibly helpful for falling asleep.

Benadryl does cause sedation but does not contribute to healthy sleep patterns so I agree with not using this medication for that purpose.

Also "sleep hygiene" can be extremely beneficial: keep your room as dark and quiet as possible, and avoid large meals, caffeine, exercise, or television in the few hours before bed. Try to go to bed around the same time every night. Get exercise during the day.

Good luck!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok and did I do permanent damage by taking 150 mg of trazodone with 1 mg of xanax last night

No, neither of these medications should do any permamanent damage and should be cleared from your system completely in a matter of days.