Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

Red scrotum syndrome since age 32. Now 63. This year two bad

Customer Question

Red scrotum syndrome since age 32. Now 63. This year two bad flare ups...puss, blood. Doxycycline 3 months stabilized not cured. Back again. Put on doxy with nystatin. Pussing gone but now also inner thighs and scrotum red. Itch, burn is 50 percent better. Still no cure. Getting tired and worn down after 30 years. Please help.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 16 days ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 16 days ago.

skin fungal infections often like to grow in dark, warm, moist environements and often can take months to weeks to clear

the doxy and nystatin helping sounds like it is most likely a skin fungal infection.

make sure you use the nystatin powder 4 times a day and use it for 1 week after the redness goes away

keep the scrotum and pelvic area as dry as possible

you may need to use baby powder once or twice daily in the future to keep the skin dry there to prevent return of skin fungal infections on the scrotum.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi dr David, thanks for the response. I may not have been clear enough as to the seriousness and multitude of attempts and doctors who I've seen in 30 years. That is why I used the computer service you offer I usually don't use for anything to buy etc. But so desperate to get a final cure to my red scrotum, itch, burn problem I thought I'll try anything at this point. The doxycycline and nystatin cream is helping the current "acute stage" i.e.; puss and blood I was having. But the redness remains as even more spread out to inner thighs and scrotum. So the answer I seek is to be cured from this "syndrome" once and for all. There has not been a single day in 30 years that my scrotum has had a normal skin color in spite of sprays, creams, powders on a daily basis all these years! I guess I was just hoping for a miracle that this MD contact might have a conclusive CURE. IF not then you are not alone as many specialists I've seen have only stabilized but never cured this problem. I'm just worn out from the same things over and over again, but the red, itch, burn remains until the next acute episode....which no one can figure where or why the flare ups happen....sometimes more than a few years...then bam it,s time for another major intervention of medications. I hope this is all not confusing you. I'm 63 and tired of the ongoing war with this THING!