Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

I am having chest pain when I sneeze in my upper right

Customer Question

i am having chest pain when I sneeze in my upper right breast
JA: Have you ever dealt with this before? Are you having any shortness of breath?
Customer: no shortness of breath.. I'm able to excersie and get through 1hour long class only really hurts when I sneeze or cough
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: not that I can think of. no been very healty
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 16 days ago.

Thanks for this question and im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask do you have any pain in the region when you press down on it? Any burning in the chest? Does the pain worsen on taking a deep breath?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Does not worsen with deep breath
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No real pain when I press
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
far no real burning. I recently started exercising a lot so it's feeling a constant minor tenderness there but the sneezing pain in rich upper breast has been going on for a while before I started exercising
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Oops left upper breast

Well from what you are describing this sounds like a muscular pain more than anything else. The worsening of the pain with coughing and sneezing can be indicative of this problem. It is possible that you may have costochondritis which is a condition in which there is inflammation of the cartilage of teh ribs. this would be diagnosed on a clinical examination and then treated with anti inflammatory agents.

Now the two things which make me think otherwise are the absence of tenderness and the fact that you dont have pain on deep inspiration. These two features can also indicate that you have a pleural pathology. The pleura is the thin lining over the lungs which can be inflammed in a condition known as pleurisy. This would be evaluated on a clinical examination and also with a chest xray. This can be due to an infection and also due to other issues like autoimmune pathologies. So a chest xray should be done just in case here.

Another cause which should be excluded although it is the least likely one here is related to the heart. This should be considered in all left sided chest or breast pain. A simple EKG would exclude most conditions including pericarditis which can cause pain which worsens on coughing.

Now i think considering that you have been experiencing this pain for some time and it does not seem to be getting better, it would be advisable to have this evaluated by visiting your doctor. A simple clinical examination would rule out most of these causes but in the meantime start using OTC anti inflammatory agents like motrin or aleve which will help in some of the above conditions.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,