Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

Due to anxiety and mild hypertension, i was advised to take

Customer Question

Due to anxiety and mild hypertension, i was advised to take zolpidem (Indian version is called Zolfresh) 10 mg for inducing sleep. I have been asked to take for 10 days and i have taken the same. Will i get addicted to this drug? How long if you take will you get addicted to this type of drug. I have now been asked to taper to 5 mg...need more help and guidance please.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 12 days ago.

Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

Is the zolfresh helping?

How many nights have you used it so far?

Do you have a history of being addicted to drugs?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Zolfresh is helping induce sleep. 10 mg for about 7 nights and 5 mg for about 5 nights.... I am taking medications for stomach acidity and have started taking BP medicine Amlong 2.5mg from yesterday for BP.

Thank you for that additional information.

While it is possible to get addicted to this medication you can safely take it for up to 12 weeks without fear. Even then, addiction is not all that common. If it is helping you I would not, at this point, worry about addiction...especially as your doctor will be watching closely for any problems.

5mg is a good dose and nothing to worry about.

Here is a very good article from a highly respected source that you may find helpful:

So. What is the take home message?

Zolpidem has helped millions of people around the world and I am glad to hear it is helping you.

There is no need to worry about this medication, especially as you are under a doctors close supervision and using it as directed.
Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks much. I will go down to 5 mg for next few days and consult my doctor.... He suggested 5 mg for 5 days and then alternate days for 5 days.....5 mg itself is helping me well i think.....

That sounds like an excellent plan.

Have a good evening.

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS