Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Total bilirubin 21 which is higher than normal MCV 98 MCH 33

Customer Question

total bilirubin 21 which is higher than normal
MCV 98
MCH 33What does it say and what should I be doing or changing?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for this question. Actually the serum bilirubin level is not very high, the normal range is upto 17 umol/L and your level is 21 umol/L. Variations of this sort can occur in normal individuals and need no intervention, infact i am sure that if you get the test repeated in a months time it will back down to under the normal range. This can be slightly raised in dehydration etc but it is nothing to worry about at the moment.

Secondly the MCV is slightly raised whereas the MCH is just at the upper range of the normal, i would not be concerned about these two factors either. The variations are not very significant and these can occur in a normal CBC as well. Now nothing much needs to be done at the moment, but what you can do is to have your doctor repeat the CBC and the lfts after a month at which time these values should be back to under normal. MCV if raised can indicate that you may have macrocytosis which means that the RBCs are larger in size, but this value does not indicate that. Usually for macrocytosis, the MCV has to be above 101-102. The commonest cause here is that of vitamin B12 deficiency. So you can use vitamin B12 supplements if you want however those too are not needed at the moment.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.