Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

I noticed yesterday that my toilet bowl has a small ring of

Customer Question

I noticed yesterday that my toilet bowl has a small ring of black mold where the water line is. What concerns me is that I just cleaned my toilet thoroughly a few days ago. Since this is abnormal and I live alone, it dawned on me that it could signify a health issue. When I looked it up, I found that this could mean diabetes. I have had blood work a few months ago, and all of my levels were normal. No family history of diabetes. Could this be a hormonal issue (It happened during a week I was pre-menstrual)? Could it be related to alcohol consumption or medications? I did drink more alcohol than usual last week.
I am 28, female, healthy weight. I am very active, but am a moderate-to-heavy drinker (7-14 drinks/week), and smoke lightly. My diet is extremely healthy, mostly rice, veggies, lean meat.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DIEGO BONILLA replied 15 days ago.

This is Dr. Bonilla. I understand your concerns.

The problem you described is unlikely to be related to a medical condition. Diabetes does not present with signs like the one you described. However the alcohol consumption and diet can cause change in bowel movements. Let me know if you have any other questions

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi Diego,This is in fact a sign of diabetes, which is why I am concerned. I should have also mentioned that I often do not flush when I pee (to save water), so my urine sits there in the toilet. What about my pee would cause mold to grow?I did not ask about bowel movements.Beyond diabetics, I know that this is something that happens to pregnant women as well. But since I am not diabetic (that I know of) or pregnant, I am wondering if it could also just be female hormones or something else.Please do not respond to my question if you are not already familiar with the above information, and then tell me that no medical condition can cause mold in toilets. Thank you.

I'll let another physician to help you with your condition. Have a good day.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 15 days ago.

This is Dr. David

I am another doctor here.

I see that the other doctor opted out.

it sounds like you are worried about sugar in your urine causing mold in the toilet

we don't use this as a sign to tell if you have diabetes.

I bet if you saw a doctor and got blood and urine testing, it would not show diabetes.