Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

I had tonsillitis about two months ago, I get it yearly

Customer Question

Hello. I had tonsillitis about two months ago, I get it yearly around this time. I'm on a year waiting list to have them removed. In the mean time I have been very sick for two months. I've been on penicillin, amoxicillian and amoxi/clav and the sore red throat, stuffed sinuses and pain on one side of the throat continues. I'm told to wait it out but I work a job where I cannot be sick like I am. I am unsure what to do or try
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? Do you have a fever?
Customer: Some days I have a fever. Today I do, as well as pain in my right lymph node in my neck and pain and "heat" in my ear. This is about two months now. The amoxi/clav worked for the tonsillitis at first and a week alter my sore throat was back accompanied by trouble swallowing, mucus build up etc
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I started getting tonsillitis three years ago. Overall I`ve had it 7 times. I do have asthma and it is starting to affect my breathing over the last couple of days. I don`t have white patches in my throat since the antibiotics and no pain on the left side. Only swollen sore on the right side. My tonsillitis usually starts on the right side but this doesn`t quite seem like tonsillitis. I work shift work so it is very hard to get in to see a Dr and when I do they tell me to either wait it out or put me on the same antibiotic which has stopped working.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 12 days ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask has anyone ever advised surgery in your case?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
As I mentioned I am on a one year wait list to have them removed.