Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

My husband has a pacemaker (8 months) and from time to time

Customer Question

My husband has a pacemaker (8 months) and from time to time he is complaining that his heart is beating so hard, and he can feel it skipping. Other times - again, not daily- he says he is lightheaded and he feels these symptoms are related to his implant . We have his monitor in place Are these unusual ?symptoms ?
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: His family does has a family of heart disease. he is 30 pounds overweight.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: family : some common connections: He and many have HDAD so appear nervous sometimes when he has anxiety.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 11 days ago.

Im sorry to hear about his symptoms. Can i ask how frequent are his symptoms? Also you mentioned a monitor, do you have a record of what rhythm the monitor shows when he experiences these symptoms? lastly why was a pacemaker implanted, for what condition?

Since you seem to be offline ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on

If the symptoms are occuring frequently like every three to four days that could be an indication that the pacemaker is malfunctioning. this can happen in many individuals and can lead to a compormised blood supply due to the heart beating erractically. This would cause the lightheadedness, palpitations, shortness of breath, sweating and chest pain as well. Secondly if the symptoms are occurring less frequently like once or twice a month even then this is concerning because this would mean that the pacemaker is still malfunctioning. In either of these situations it would be best to have his pacemaker reevaluated and readjusted by visiting his cardiologist. He can run a full workup and see if this is the case here.

i would agree with your husband that this does seem to be related to the pacemaker, if it was only an occasional missed beat or occasional palpitations i would not be worried but lightheadedness means that it is compromising the blood supply and that requires an evaluation as soon as possible.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,