Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

My cat scan shoes a distended gallbladder with

My cat scan shoes a distended gallbladder with pericholecystic fluid and inflammatory changes in the gallbladder fossa and I'll definition of gallbladder wall and trace free fluid in Morison's pouch. Please tell me what this could mean. Thank you.

Thanks for this question. Can i ask why you got the CT scan done? Was it due to upper abdominal pain? Any other symptoms like fever, nausea, vomiting or tenderness in the abdomen?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Slight fever and weakness. No pain at all

Well from what you have mentioned these changes in the gallbladder can be due to an infection of the gallbladder. It is very likely that you have acute cholecystitis which is a condition in which teh gallbladder is inflammed, commonly due to gallstones however it can also occur in the absence of gallstones. Usually gallstones are not picked up on a CT scan, an USG is much better test to determine if you have gallstones or not.

The presence of fluid around the gallbladder as well as the ill defined bladder walls are indicative of a swollen or inflammed gall bladder. The free fluid in the morrisons pouch can also be inflammatory fluid due to this reason. In some cases chronic cholecystitis can also show changes like these as well.

Now the next step here is to determine th cause for inflammation, an ultrasound should be done if it hasnt been already. if there are no stones then you will be treated conservatively with Iv fluids, antibiotics and rest. This should help in resolution of the inflammation.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not sure can do an ultrasound? His kidneys may not like the dye.

An ultrasound is done without any dyes it just uses simple soundwaves to see what is in the gallbladder.

Do you have any more questions?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He was very jaundice before this and had some stones removed from bile duct.

Then the diagnosis is clear, this is residual inflammation from the obstruction caused by the stones as well as a ;possible residual infection. This can occur many a time after surgery, especially if the surgery was done in the last two months however if it has been longer then a repeat scan (ultrasound) needs to be done to see if there is any reoccurrence of the previous disease.

Do you have any more questions?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
you do not think they need to remove his gallbladder?

No, that may still be necessary if the gallbladder keeps getting inflammed and the ultrasound confirms the findings of the CT scan then it is likely that it may have to be removed. Infact in cases of recurrent gallbladder inflammation or obstruction, the treatment is removal of the gallbladder.

Do you have any more questions?