Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I am 73 y/o. I weigh 257lbs. I am 5' tall. I have 6 large

Customer Question

I am 73 y/o. I weigh 257lbs. I am 5' tall. I have 6 large incisional hernias from three cancer surgeries (20 years ago). I cant exercise without abdominal pain. I have been on a very strict low carb(under 30 carbs/day) low calorie (under 1000 cal/day) for 2 months with a weight loss total of 6 lbs! What is preventing the weight from coming off? After tests, thyroid is functioning normally, no stomach or colon cancer
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

at your age of 73, it can be difficult to loose weight.

you are after your menopause as well which can cause decline of your metabolism because your estrogen levels are low.

weight loss is a slow process.

you have to continue to exercise and keep your carbs low and eat low calories for your body to burn calories to loose weight.

you should add in some weight training and resistance training to help build muscle to burn more calories.

what is your TSH blood levels?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What is TSH? I
Because of hernias, any exercise, even walking, causes me debilitating Lower abdominal pressure and pain, lasting for several days. I do try to talk with a walker or store cart. I have been on the diet since August 15th with minimal results
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oops! I meant walk w/walker, not "talk"!
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

TSH is thyroid stimulating hormone level and is used to assess your thyroid hormone level.

6 lbs is good

you have to continue to diet and cut your calories and avoid carbohydrates in your diet.

you will loose weight.

without exercise it can take longer to be able loose weight.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
TSH levels are 4.08
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

TSH level of 4.08 is too high and means you are hypothyroid or low in your thyroid hormone levels.

most endocrinologist would say your TSH levels are too high

and that you most likely will benefit from a low dose thyroid hormone pill supplement like synthroid 25mcg to help increase your thyroid hormone levels.

TSH levels should be between 0.3 and 3.0 range.

ask your doctor to see an endocrinologist about your thyroid level. this is not a normal level.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
TSH levels were checked in April 2016
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

you should have them checked again to see if they are TSH of 4.08.

that could be part of the reason why you are having a hard time loosing weight.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com