Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience

My throat is constantly hoarse...recently it even cracks

Customer Question

My throat is constantly hoarse...recently it even cracks when I try to speak. It seems like there is always mucus stuck in the back of my throat as well. I haven't smoked cigarettes in at least a few weeks time and before that, I would only smoke cigarettes on the weekend. I also get bad asthma when I run :( I'm embarrassed to talk because my voice will crack and I hate the way I sound. I'm not sure if this has to do with it, but my sense of smell is also not great... Any advice?
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 18 days ago.

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.How many cigarettes do you smoke daily and since when are you smoking?please tell me your age and your occupation ,are you on medicaton for any disease ? Any family history of astyhma or eczema,heart problems o hypertension?Do you smoke cannabis?please give me more information,thanks.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hi Dr Aren, thanks for responding to my question.I don't smoke any cigarettes anymore... when I did, it was once or twice a week, and maybe 2 or 3 at a time. Or once a month, I would have more, about 6. I only started smoking cigarettes when I move to Singapore of August 2014. I was an oil broker and smoked cigarettes when I was out with clients, I was a broker for 9 months. I'll smoke hookah occasionally (once every 2 or 3 months). I don't have any family history of the above as far as I know I just have a history with hypo/hyper thyroid. However, I sometimes get chest pains because of anxiety (I got a chest x-ray a few months back and everything checked out okay. I went to the doctor because I was having chest pains)My dad smoked cigarettes and cigars when I was younger, although I lived with my mom.I used to take adderall/vyvanse throughout college and a year or so after (2008-2014) and then I recently switched to modafinil.I'm 26.Thank you

Do you get severe acidity ? any foul smell in the nose?Have you been investigated for GERD/ upper Gi endoscopy or Laryngoscopy?

You appear to be having a post nasal drip which causes chronic pharyngitis and throat irritation.The drug Modafinil contributes to the dryness of the mouth and chest pains,anxiety and palpitations.It would be prudent to get the opinion of a ENT specialist who can rule out sinusitis,and do a direct and indirect laryngoscopy(examination of the vocal cords and larynx).The possibility of a severe GERD and subsequent Laryngo-pharyngeal reflux of the acid contents of the stomach can also give rise to similar symptoms.Your job would entail talking on the phone to the clients,this would also cause laryngeal problems due to voice over use, voice rest,talking normally and sipping water to prevent mouth and throat dryness will help.