Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

I have been on Klonopin for about five years now and it is

Customer Question

I have been on Klonopin for about five years now and it is the only anti anxiety medication that works for me. I have just realized recently that it is not working as per usual. I was at 1.5 mil from 2 as I tried to taper myself and now I realized I may need 2. Now this past week 2mgs has not even worked. The only thing that works for the present being is 3mg. I am nervous that this may be much.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 12 days ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 12 days ago.

patients can become tolerized to their benzo medication like klonopin after long periods of use

and the same dose doesn't help with anxiety like it did before.

this is very common with long term use

you need to see your doctor about other medications to help decrease anxiety symptoms

such as sertraline, paroxetine, fluoxetine

hydroxyzine, propranolol, buspirone can help as well

you most likely need a drug holiday from the klonopin (clonazepam) and once off of it for a few weeks, it will work at lower doses after a holiday off of it

does this make sense?

your anxiety is also worse now and with worse anxiety, it can make you need more benzo medication.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
But what about if my body does not tolerate any other medications the same? Literally this is the only medication that helps with my anxiety. So by upping the dosage that wouldn't resolve the issue? Also is 3mg an extremely high dosage?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 12 days ago.

3mg is not an extremely high dose.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The only way to get the anxiety back under control is to take a holiday? I have tried other medications and they make me very sick. I am very sensitive to anything but the Klonopin.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 12 days ago.

you have to try the other medications.

worsening anxiety when you take the other medications doesn't mean you body isn't tolerating them.

you can worry about trying new medications and this can cause worse anxiety.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Are those medications that you mentioned all anti depressants?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
My main question is an increase of the Klonopin will not work and fix the issue? since I have sensitivity issues to the others?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I have literally tried all anti depressants and they all make me feel horrible.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 12 days ago.

you can go up on your dose

talk to your doctor about this increased dose

but your body will eventually in a few weeks or months will become tolerized to the higher dose of klonopin again

and you will need higher doses to control your anxiety symptoms.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Oh I see, so at some point I will have to break to get the Klonopin to work at the lower dose. Okay my one last question is, while on this other medication whatever it be would I cut the Klonopin out completely usually? In the meantime should I stick to the 3mg to keep the anxiety under control until I see the doctor? I was on 2mg one in the am one at night but it just no longer works.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 12 days ago.

when you start other medications I mentioned above, you would not cut out your klonopin.

not all of them are antidepressants.

we can not ok for you to increase your dose of your medication

only your doctor can do that.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Oh okay. Have you seen it just increase to higher than 3mgs?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 12 days ago.

yes, the klonopin dose can be increased above 3mg

max dose of klonopin per 24 hour period is 20mg a day.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.