Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I stopped taking an antibiotic 5 days ago and have been

Customer Question

I stopped taking an antibiotic 5 days ago and have been itchy. I have a slight rash in my groin area and just noticed a small little pimple like rash on my chest after I worked out. I hear people can have allergic reaction to antibiotics.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?
Customer: 2 days. I stopped using soap and tried neosorin
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 months ago.

Hello from justAnswer.

Yes, people can have an allergic reaction to an antibiotic, but it would be unusual for there to be a reaction several days after completing the course of the antibiotic. Another common cause of an itching rash that can be due to antibiotics would be a fungal infection of the skin, and while this also usually starts while the antibiotic is being taken, it can start causing symptoms after stopping teh antibiotics.

Can you attach a picture of the rash?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I prefer not to send pictures since it is in my private region. It looks chapped, slightly red down there. Itchy, I feel itchy on my chest as well, where I have tiny little bumps that sprang up today.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was taking doxycycline.

That is fine.

From the timing and the description, I would suspect a fungal infection far more than an allergic reaction or any other possible cause of a rash. An itchy rash in the groin is frequently from a fungal infection, even in people that have not recently taken an antibiotic.

You can try an over the counter anti-fungal cream, such as clotrimazole, to see if it helps. If the rash resolves with the clotrimazole, that would be strong evidence that it was due to a fungal infection.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
is there anything I should avoid?

No, not really. The common fungi that cause skin infections are relatively ubiquitous. They can be in larger concentrations in certain environments, particularly hot, moist environments that are visited by many people, such as locker rooms at gyms or fitness centers. But most people that get fungal skin infections have not been to such locations recently. And once the infection is present, there is no real advantage to avoiding such locations.

For most people, foods in the diet also do not affect fungal skin infections. In diabetics, limiting sugar intake is appropriate, but there is no good evidence that it makes a difference for non-diabetics.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok thank you

You are most welcome.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.