Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I am just about 35 weeks pregnant and at my appointment

Customer Question

I am just about 35 weeks pregnant and at my appointment today they said that I measured 25 re: amniotic fluid putting me at borderline high. I've had two level two ultrasounds due to my AMA and my husband having history of BAV. One was at 20 weeks and the other was at 32 weeks. No fetal anomalies were detected. My doctor today said I may have late onset gestational diabetes (I was tested at the proper time and came out as normal). She said another cause can be esophageal blockage showing the baby isn't swallowing the fluid. Now I will be going in to be tested for diabetes again but I can't help but worry about the esophageal issue. Do they typically look at the esophagus/stomach during the level 2 US? Would they have seen any abnormality then if it existed? Also, are there any people who just have high levels of fluid and there is no reason for it?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 1 month ago.

Hi Dr Ashori here, give me a moment please to reply.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 1 month ago.

It is perfectly possible and normal for some women to have higher levels of amniotic fluid with absolutely no pathology, meaning no anomaly or underlying abnormality.

Certainly it can be a rental issue or esophageal issue as your physician indicated and though US can be good to look at the anatomy (as the have done with level 2 US) it can miss certain things or just not be detailed enough to find certain things.

It's good that they didn't see anything in particular, that's always the best sign.

Most serious anomalies are visible these days with the US technology that we have.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 1 month ago.

As for the glucose test, I am guessing they will do the 4-hour test which is fairly accurate in determining diabetes, some doctors will check your fructosamine or hemoglobin A1C.