Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

My 21 year old daughter got a tetanus shot 3 weeks ago and

Customer Question

My 21 year old daughter got a tetanus shot 3 weeks ago and her arm still hurts in her joints. She went back to the place where she was given the shot and was told "this is not normal, see your primary dr immediately". Since she is at college, I told her to go to an urgent care facility - they said "just take advil and ice it". 3 weeks of this - I am sure it is not normal but the more drs. she sees, the more runrounds she gets. Any suggestions?
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: No swelling - if she rests it for a day or two it gets a little better but as soon as she starts to use it again, it goes right back to "aching in the joint" and not being able to lift it over her head.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: She was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes at age 12.... Her immune system is weakened - could it be a weakened form of tetanus?
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 18 days ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 18 days ago.

has she seen a primary care doctor about this?

ER or urgent care facilities are not the right place to work this up

she needs to see a primary care doctor or a rheumatologist for more testing about her joint pains.