Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I was prescribe pentoxyphilline for proteinuria. Any

Customer Question

I was prescribe pentoxyphilline for proteinuria. Any comments?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes, I have been taking 400 mg per day for the last9 months. It worked well until I abandoned my dietery plans. It came back again.
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I take ibersartan 150mg twice a day, amlodipne mg twice a day for my blood pressure and aspirine 81 mg at night.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Recently, I was diagnosed hipotheroidism and I am taking Levotrix 50, 50 mg in the morning. No I am not allergic to any these medicines. I am 74 years old and have many ailments typical of old people. No to metion, prostate, back pain, ear infecction, cramps in legs, etc.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

pentoxifylline is also called Trental and is used to help lower blood viscosity and improve red blood cell flexibility and help improve circulation.

this could help more blood flow into and through your kidneys which could help decrease protein in your urine.

why did you abandon your dietary plans? what are you eating now? you may have to eat less protein in your diet

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Lack of self-discipline. I was also prescribed diosmine + hesperidine for my varicose in my right leg. I was advised to take both diosmine and pentoxifylline daily. Isn't it too risky?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was told this consultation would cost me $5.00. Really, how much is it going to cost me?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

diosmine is an over the counter dietary supplement.

Hesperidin is a compound in orange peels that gives the flavonoid hesperitin to the body, and this flavonoid mediates most benefits of hesperidin including an increase in circulation

so these are both over the counter supplements.

this isn't too risky.