DR.EHTISHAM
DR.EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

I had three teeth extracted this afternoon and there was

Customer Question

Hi, I had three teeth extracted this afternoon and there was quite a bit of bleeding. The gums were sutured and there was still some mild bleeding occurring when I was sent home. They sent me home with some sterilised sponges in my mouth which I was biting down on the stop the bleeding. They said the bleeding would stop within a couple of hours. It has now been nine hours and the gums are still bleeding. There is no obvious flow of blood, it's more a slow seep that mixes in with my saliva. It's now 10:45pm where I am. Is this likely to be an immediate issue or can it wait till the morning?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DR.EHTISHAM replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Are you on any blood thinners ??

Any known medical problem or medicines you are taking ?

On occasion minor ooze can go a bit longer than normal and the decision to go to ER depends on severity. If there is just a mild ooze applying local pressure and ice packs over the area can help .

Regards

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am not on any blood thinners and have no known medical problems. Local pressure hasn't stop the ooze and it's my back teeth so not an area where I can apply an ice pack. I'm not in any pain and was mainly inquiring about whether it would be fine to leave till the morning or whether, assuming the seeping continues, loss of blood overnight might be an issue.

Thanks for the information

Yes if it continue like this the whole night it can be a problem so I would suggest that you better get it examined now and have treatment accordingly

Good luck

Feel free to ask if any more question

If done Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating

Regards

Are you with me ?

Do ask if any more question

Regards