Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

How are u. About 2 1/2 weeks ago I had oral relations with a

Customer Question

Hi doc how are u. About 2 1/2 weeks ago I had oral relations with a female and she started to bleed and I got blood in my mouth. The next day I woke up with a red sore in the back of my mouth that hurt. A week later I noticed a white or gray lining on my inner cheek. Then the lining moved to the other side of my mouth and I also have two swollen glands on each side of my mouth. I had a slight sore throat no swollen glands in my neck and I do have herpes 2. I am worried I may have contracted hiv.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 4 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask do you know the other persons HIV status? Also have you gotten tested for HIV yet?

Since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on.

Given the exposure that you have had, there is a chance that you MIGHT have been exposed to HIV (if the other person was HIV positive) however the symptoms that you are describing are not completely consistent with an acute HIV infection, as you dont have swollen lymph nodes in the neck which develop usually 2-4 weeks after exposure, two swollen glands around the mouth can be indicative of another bacterial infection. Secondly HIV doesnt manifest by forming gray lining inside the cheek or on the throat, that can occur in other conditions.

Now i think you may have another bacterial infection but given the type of exposure that you had it is recommended that you get screened for HIV, since it has been 2 1/2 weeks your best bet would be to get a 4th generation combined antigen/antibody test done at 4 weeks after exposure. If that comes back negative then one should be done at 8 weeks which would exclude the infection completely. But given your symptoms this is less likely to be due to HIV (the symptoms dont completely fit) but the exposure certainly warrants further testing.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.