Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.

What can I do today, now, to help with vaginal

Customer Question

What can I do today, now, to help with vaginal itching/burning/uncomfortable feeling? Had this several days. Today seems more problematic than yesterday. Last night I used a douche with warm water and a teaspoon or so of plain vinegar. Felt better then, but after AM shower it is more uncomfortable than yesterday. I am female, age 78. Still a little sexually active.
JA: How long have you been dealing with the burning? Are you experiencing any other discomfort?
Customer: This is about the 6 day. No other discomfort. Previously not as much as today.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I am relatively healthy. HB pressure, managed by doctor medication; also cholesterol, managed by medication; glaucoma managed by medication.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 16 days ago.

When was your last pelvic exam?

Do you use any hormones?

Have you ever had a yeast infection? Thank you.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Last pelvic exam many years ago. At the last visit the doctor told me that I did not need to see her. I believe she was intimating that because of my age, I should seek someone else. But so far I have not. I do not take hormones and never have. Yes I have had yeast infections in my earlier/mid years. None in at least the 5 years or so.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Please give answer here or in an e-mail msg. to me. Thank you.

After menopause, it's common to get vaginal irritation and burning due to low estrogen. The low estrogen results in very thin, brittle vaginal tissues that are prone to irritation and infection. If that's the cause, it can be resolved using vaginal estrogen cream.

Yeast infections are a common cause of vaginal burning and itching. They can usually be resolved using yeast medications.

There are other causes of vaginal burning and irritation, such as lichen sclerosus. This usually causes a slight whitish appearance to the area around the vaginal entrance. It's treated with certain steroid creams.

Sometimes itching and irritation are due to contact dermatitis, which is when the skin is reacting to something that came in contact, such as soap, cream, laundry products, etc. That's treated by removing the cause and using 1% hydrocortisone cream.

So I would recommend seeing a doctor to figure it out. An exam plus a smear of vaginal secretions will usually tell the cause, and then treatment can be directed to the cause.

In the meantime, sitting in warm water with epsom salts will usually be soothing and healing, regardless of the cause. Best wishes.