Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)
6740150

Fell backward and hit my skull on a granite counter. Large

Customer Question

Fell backward and hit my skull on a granite counter. Large bump. Mildly painful and slightly red. Now three days old and does not appear to be decreasing in size. I'm 72 years old. Is this OK?
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: Happened 3 days ago. Only thing that bothers it is resting my head on a pillow.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I'm on blood thinners for heart failure and have an ICD.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 8 months ago.

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m so sorry to hear about your head injury 3 days ago.Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

Have you applied anything so far on the injured area?

Do you have headache?

Any episode of vomiting or nausea?

Any dizziness?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I googled it and have none of the signs of a severe head injury - no nausea, blurry vision etc.
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 8 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for the quick reply.

The symptoms you have described of having large bump at skull after getting hit on a granite counter 3 days ago is not serious or dangerous condition but need to be monitored and observed. The bump medically called as hematoma may subside in 7- 10 days of injury.A hematoma is a localized collection of blood outside the blood vessels usually in liquid form within the tissue.

Following will help you for quick recovery:

• Ice the area on and off. Put ice in a plastic bag, wrap the bag in a towel.Do not apply ice directly to the skin. Wrap the icepack in a towel.The cold reduces the blood flow to the area and therefore limits bleeding into the skin and reduces the size of hematoma.

• Take tab. Ibuprofen 400mg from the counter. It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly.

• Have bed rest as much as possible.

• All this will help you greatly.

So bot***** *****ne is that you need to wait & watch your bump/hematoma.It may take another 4-7 days to get subside.Its good that you do not have any nausea, blurry vision etc. .So just keep an eye of observation.

Thank you.

Hope this helped.

Is there is anything else that you would like to know? I am happy to address your follow-up questions. Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 8 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for coming back online.

So there is nothing to worry here.Just take the above described medications & wait & watch your symptoms.

As you get mild pain/it hurts when you rest your head on pillow,so taking tab.Ibuprofen 400 mg will subside this pain.

So in conclusion I can say that you just need to keep an eye of observation.Nothing to worry.

If you are done,then please leave a positive rating for my answer above the chat box.

If you still have any questions,please let me know..I am happy to address your follow-up questions.

Thank you.

God bless you & take care.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 8 months ago.

Just checking in to see how things are going. Have you applied the ice on injured area?

Do you need further assistance?Is there anything else that you would like to know?

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me.I am happy to help you.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh