Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)
6740150

My 87 year old husband has had a chest cold and a cough for

Customer Question

My 87 year old husband has had a chest cold and a cough for the last couple of days. Tonight he has a temperature of 38.7. Have given a decongestant (Benelyn), water, cool damp cloths on his forehead. Taking him to the hospital is my choice of last resort!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 2 months ago.

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

Does he had sore throat?

Does he have green phlegm in cough?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 2 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for coming back online.

The symptoms you have described about your 87 year old husband who has had a chest cold and a cough for the last couple of days & now having a temperature of 38.7 is not a serious but is of concern.

Most probably & most likely this can be due viral infection commonly called as flu.Symptoms caused by a viral infection generally clears up on its own within one week with no complications.

Following will help him greatly:

-Give him tab. Ibuprofen 400 mg from the counter. This will reduce his fever.It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help him greatly.

-He need expectorant cough mixture to help loosen the phlegm and make it easier to cough up from the airways.Expectorants contain ingredients such as guaifenesin, ipecachuana or ammonium citrate.The only expectorant available in OTC products is guaifenesin (some brand names: Mucinex, Robitussin Chest Congestion).So I advice for him to take mucinex cough syrup,it will help him greatly & is available as OTC without prescription.

-Keeping a humidifier running in your room or using an over-the-counter salt-water spray (inhaled through the nose) five or six times a day can provide dramatic relief.

So bot***** *****ne is that as of now there is no need to go ER or hospital. You need to wait & watch his symptoms.Give the above described treatment.Usually & most likely,the symptoms gets subside with these treatments.

Thank you.

Hope this helped.

Is there is anything else that you would like to know? I am happy to address your follow-up questions. Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 2 months ago.

Just checking in to see how things are going. How is your husband's symptoms of chest/cold & cough now?

Have you given him expectorant cough syrup?

Do you need further assistance?Is there anything else that you would like to know?

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me.I am happy to help you.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh