Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Ali *please answer each question individually -I realized

Customer Question

For Dr. Ali*please answer each question individually
-I realized today that I put a nail clipper in the top drawer of my bathroom alongside items such as toothpaste, a comb, some glasses etc. I do not recall if the nail clipper was ever used to clip my infected toenail.
DO I NEED TO WORRY IN ANY WAY ABOUT HAVING TOUCHED THE NAIL CLIPPERS AND THEN TOUCHED ANY OTHER ITEMS AT ALL IN MY HOME AND THE ITEMS IN THE DRAWER,TOUCHING CLOTHING WHICH I SUBSEQUENTLY WORE OUTSIDE OF MY HOME THAT OTHER PEOPLE WOULD HAVE TOUCHEDOR CONTAMINATING OURSELVES OR OTHERS IN ANY WAY AT ALL-Re: pesticide use. There is a small field of corn or hay (can't recall which but it is about 2 acres) located in our neighbourhood. I do recall walking through the field several times as a short-cut to our home, but don't recall which season I was walking through the field. DO I NEED TO WORRY IN ANY WAY ABOUT CONTAMINATING MYSELF OR BRINGING RESIDUE HOME FROM THE FIELD THAT WOULD CAUSE ANY SHORT-TERM OR LONG-TERM HEALTH CONSEQUENCES FOR MYSELF OR ANYONE ELSE WHO VISITED OUR HOME?-we have a Ryobi lawn mower which runs on a battery. We typically have not protected our hands in any way when putting the battery in or taking it out. DO I NEED TO WORRY IN ANY WAY REGARDING ANY HEALTH CONSEQUENCES FOR HANDLING THE BATTERY THIS WAY?
IS THERE ANYTHING FROM THE BATTERY WHICH WOULD GET ON OUR HANDS AND THEN TRANSFER TO OTHER AREAS OF OUR HOME THAT WE NEED TO WORRY ABOUT-re: mowing. We often have to move things out the way (e.g. downspouts) when mowing, but do not wash hands until in the house. DO I NEED TO WORRY ABOUT HANDLING/TOUCHING ANYTHING ON THE WAY INTO THE HOUSE (e.g. door knob, walls) WHICH IS NOT CLEANED ON A REGULAR BASIS?-do I need to be concerned at all about how often door knobs (especially those for going outside and coming inside) are cleaned or using them if they are not cleaned regularly?-re: Laundry. ANY CONCERNS RE: WALKING AROUND IN STOCKING FEET ON THE FLOOR OF THE LAUNDRY ROOM AND THEN WALKING AROUND THE HOUSE EVEN IF THERE HAS BEEN DIRTY CLOTHES SITTING ON THE FLOOR? ANY TRANSFER OF GERMS/CONTAMINANTS THAT WE SHOULD BE CONCERNED ABOUT?-DO I NEED TO WORRY ABOUT WHERE I CLOSE THE CAR DOOR (NO MATTER WHAT IT HAS BEEN EXPOSED TO) EITHER WHEN I AM GOING IN TO A STORE AND HANDLING ITEMS WITHOUT FIRST WASHING MY HANDS (such as food) or WHEN I'M COMING INTO OUR HOME AND THEN HANDLING ANY ITEMS AT ALL AGAIN WITHOUT FIRST WASHING MY HANDS-does it matter what the temperature of water is when cleaning oneself in a shower or using the sink (i.e do I need to be concerned how warm it is or is it equally effective whether the water is warm or a bit hotter)-the City has sprayed lines on the ground in front of our home where they are going to be removing some sidewalk. I thought the paint was permanent, but when stepping on it today in my running shoes realized it came off of my feet. DO I NEED TO WORRY THAT THE PAINT IS TOXIC IN ANY WAY OR ANY CONCERNS ABOUT IT SPREADING TO NEIGHBOURS' HOME WHO HAVE SMALL CHILDREN?-I walked on the sidewalk today by a woman today who was sanding a dresser in her garage. It looked like it was stained. DO I NEED TO WORRY IN ANY WAY ABOUT BEING EXPOSED TO THE DUST OR SPREADING THE DUST TO OTHER AREAS WHILE WALKING, OR BRINGING IT ON TO OUR PROPERTY (I MOWED THE LAWN AS SOON AS I GOT HOME) OR INTO OUR HOME ON MY JACKET.RE: LATEX GLOVES. DO I NEED TO WORRY IN ANY WAY IF WE DIDN'T USE GLOVES (BARE HANDS ONLY) ABOUT ANY GERMS/CONTAMINANTS WE MAY HAVE SPREAD VIA OUR HANDS FROM ONE ROOM TO ANOTHER THEREBY EXPOSING ANYONE IN OUR HOME TO SAME? ANY SHORT-TERM OR LONGER-TERM HEALTH CONSEQUENCES FOR OURSELVES OR ANYONE WHO HAS VISITED OUR HOME?AS WELL, WHEN CLEANING HOW OFTEN DO YOU RECOMMEND THAT THE GLOVES BE CHANGED (i.e. when moving from one room to the next?)*PLEASE ANSWER EACH INQUIRY INDIVIDUALLY
I'M ASSUMING USING GLOVES WHEN CLEANING IS IN THE SENSE OF GLOVES BEING AN OPTION, NOT MANDATORY- CORRECT?SHOULD WE WORRY/FEEL GUILTY ABOUT CONTAMINATING OURSELVES OR ANYONE ELSE IN OUR HOME IN ANY WAY (OR CAUSING HEALTH EFFECTS FOR OURSELVES OR OTHERS IN OUR HOME) BECAUSE WE HAVEN'T WORN GLOVES CONSISTENTLY WHEN CLEANING-PLEASE ADVISE.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 8 months ago.

HI,

I realized today that I put a nail clipper in the top drawer of my bathroom alongside items such as toothpaste, a comb, some glasses etc. I do not recall if the nail clipper was ever used to clip my infected toenail.
DO I NEED TO WORRY IN ANY WAY ABOUT HAVING TOUCHED THE NAIL CLIPPERS AND THEN TOUCHED ANY OTHER ITEMS AT ALL IN MY HOME AND THE ITEMS IN THE DRAWER,

No you dont need to worry about this

TOUCHING CLOTHING WHICH I SUBSEQUENTLY WORE OUTSIDE OF MY HOME THAT OTHER PEOPLE WOULD HAVE TOUCHED
This is not an issue

OR CONTAMINATING OURSELVES OR OTHERS IN ANY WAY AT ALL

No worries here either

Re: pesticide use. There is a small field of corn or hay (can't recall which but it is about 2 acres) located in our neighbourhood. I do recall walking through the field several times as a short-cut to our home, but don't recall which season I was walking through the field. DO I NEED TO WORRY IN ANY WAY ABOUT CONTAMINATING MYSELF OR BRINGING RESIDUE HOME FROM THE FIELD THAT WOULD CAUSE ANY SHORT-TERM OR LONG-TERM HEALTH CONSEQUENCES FOR MYSELF OR ANYONE ELSE WHO VISITED OUR HOME?
No you dont need to worry here either

we have a Ryobi lawn mower which runs on a battery. We typically have not protected our hands in any way when putting the battery in or taking it out. DO I NEED TO WORRY IN ANY WAY REGARDING ANY HEALTH CONSEQUENCES FOR HANDLING THE BATTERY THIS WAY?
IS THERE ANYTHING FROM THE BATTERY WHICH WOULD GET ON OUR HANDS AND THEN TRANSFER TO OTHER AREAS OF OUR HOME THAT WE NEED TO WORRY ABOUT

No you dont need to worry about handling the battery and there isnt anything in the battery which could cause problems for you

-re: mowing. We often have to move things out the way (e.g. downspouts) when mowing, but do not wash hands until in the house. DO I NEED TO WORRY ABOUT HANDLING/TOUCHING ANYTHING ON THE WAY INTO THE HOUSE (e.g. door knob, walls) WHICH IS NOT CLEANED ON A REGULAR BASIS?

No you dont need to worry about this

do I need to be concerned at all about how often door knobs (especially those for going outside and coming inside) are cleaned or using them if they are not cleaned regularly?
No you dont

re: Laundry. ANY CONCERNS RE: WALKING AROUND IN STOCKING FEET ON THE FLOOR OF THE LAUNDRY ROOM AND THEN WALKING AROUND THE HOUSE EVEN IF THERE HAS BEEN DIRTY CLOTHES SITTING ON THE FLOOR? ANY TRANSFER OF GERMS/CONTAMINANTS THAT WE SHOULD BE CONCERNED ABOUT?
No concerns and no transfer of germs

DO I NEED TO WORRY ABOUT WHERE I CLOSE THE CAR DOOR (NO MATTER WHAT IT HAS BEEN EXPOSED TO) EITHER WHEN I AM GOING IN TO A STORE AND HANDLING ITEMS WITHOUT FIRST WASHING MY HANDS (such as food) or WHEN I'M COMING INTO OUR HOME AND THEN HANDLING ANY ITEMS AT ALL AGAIN WITHOUT FIRST WASHING MY HANDS
No you dont

does it matter what the temperature of water is when cleaning oneself in a shower or using the sink (i.e do I need to be concerned how warm it is or is it equally effective whether the water is warm or a bit hotter)

It is effective even if it is warm

-the City has sprayed lines on the ground in front of our home where they are going to be removing some sidewalk. I thought the paint was permanent, but when stepping on it today in my running shoes realized it came off of my feet. DO I NEED TO WORRY THAT THE PAINT IS TOXIC IN ANY WAY OR ANY CONCERNS ABOUT IT SPREADING TO NEIGHBOURS' HOME WHO HAVE SMALL CHILDREN?

No you dont

I walked on the sidewalk today by a woman today who was sanding a dresser in her garage. It looked like it was stained. DO I NEED TO WORRY IN ANY WAY ABOUT BEING EXPOSED TO THE DUST OR SPREADING THE DUST TO OTHER AREAS WHILE WALKING, OR BRINGING IT ON TO OUR PROPERTY (I MOWED THE LAWN AS SOON AS I GOT HOME) OR INTO OUR HOME ON MY JACKET.

No you dont

RE: LATEX GLOVES. DO I NEED TO WORRY IN ANY WAY IF WE DIDN'T USE GLOVES (BARE HANDS ONLY) ABOUT ANY GERMS/CONTAMINANTS WE MAY HAVE SPREAD VIA OUR HANDS FROM ONE ROOM TO ANOTHER THEREBY EXPOSING ANYONE IN OUR HOME TO SAME? ANY SHORT-TERM OR LONGER-TERM HEALTH CONSEQUENCES FOR OURSELVES OR ANYONE WHO HAS VISITED OUR HOME?
You dont need to worry about this as there are no short or long term consequences for this

AS WELL, WHEN CLEANING HOW OFTEN DO YOU RECOMMEND THAT THE GLOVES BE CHANGED (i.e. when moving from one room to the next?)

Yes that is correct

I'M ASSUMING USING GLOVES WHEN CLEANING IS IN THE SENSE OF GLOVES BEING AN OPTION, NOT MANDATORY- CORRECT?

Yes it is an option

HOULD WE WORRY/FEEL GUILTY ABOUT CONTAMINATING OURSELVES OR ANYONE ELSE IN OUR HOME IN ANY WAY (OR CAUSING HEALTH EFFECTS FOR OURSELVES OR OTHERS IN OUR HOME) BECAUSE WE HAVEN'T WORN GLOVES CONSISTENTLY WHEN CLEANING-PLEASE ADVISE.

No you dont have to worry about this at all

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
RE: The nail clippers. To clarify, is it that any residue on the nail clippers (from the infected toenail) would not live long enough to affect anything in the drawer or contaminate ourselves or others in any way? I put away some clean clothing after handling some items in the drawer the nail clipper was in. DO I NEED TO WORRY ABOUT HANDLING OR WEARING THIS CLOTHING IN ANY WAY OR PASSING ALONG ANY CONTAMINANTS TO ANYONE EITHER INSIDE OR OUTSIDE OUR HOME?*please answer each question individually
Re: the latex gloves. I want to clarify that this was pertaining to dusting rooms. We don't tend to wear gloves when vacuuming or mopping the floors. DO I NEED TO WORRY/FEEL GUILTY IN ANY WAY IF WE HAVEN'T WORN LATEX GLOVES WHEN:
-DUSTING EACH ROOM WITH BARE HANDS (ARE WE SPREADING CONTAMINANTS FROM ONE ROOM TO THE NEXT AND ON OUR HANDS? DO WE NEED TO WORRY IF WE DIDN'T CLEAN OUR HANDS AFTERWARDS? ANY SHORT-TERM OR LONGER-TERM HEALTH CONSEQUENCES).
-VACUUMING EACH ROOM WITH BARE HANDS (ARE WE SPREADING CONTAMINANTS FROM ONE ROOM TO THE NEXT AND ON OUR HANDS? DO WE NEED TO WORRY IF WE DIDN'T CLEAN OUR HANDS AFTERWARDS? ANY SHORT-TERM OR LONGER-TERM HEALTH CONSEQUENCES). WE ALSO CLEAN THE VACUUM HEAD (A BRUSH WITH BRISTLES ON IT, NOT A BEATER BAR) WITH OUR BARE HANDS. DO WE NEED TO WORRY IF WE DIDN'T CLEAN OUR HANDS AFTERWARDS? ANY SHORT-TERM OR LONGER-TERM HEALTH CONSEQUENCES
-MOPPING FROM ONE ROOM TO THE NEXT HOLDING THE TOP OF THE HANDLE OF THE MOP WITH BARE HANDS (ARE WE SPREADING CONTAMINANTS FROM ONE ROOM TO THE NEXT AND ON OUR HANDS? DO WE NEED TO WORRY IF WE DIDN'T CLEAN OUR HANDS AFTERWARDS? ANY SHORT-TERM OR LONGER-TERM HEALTH CONSEQUENCES). THE MOP HAS A DETACHABLE MICROFIBRE MOP HEAD (IT IS FLAT AND FITS THE WIDTH OF THE MOP AND THE MOP HAS A LEVER AT THE TOP TO DISPENSE THE CLEANING LIQUID).
-I'M CONFUSED AS TO WHY YOU RECOMMEND CHANGING GLOVES WHEN MOVING FROM ONE ROOM TO THE NEXT, BUT THEN SAY WE DON'T HAVE TO WORRY IF WE HAVEN'T. CAN YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY?*please answer each question individually
-I want to ask you about an incident I had involving a condom. I parked my car in a parking lot some distance away from the shopping mall where I went shopping. I purchased a couple of items, put them in my backpack and then walked back to my car. I removed the backpack from my back before I got to the car, which means that the bottom was dragging a bit on the ground. I didn't realize until I had already opened the car that there were some used condoms and condom packages lying on the ground right next to the car where I was entering it. MY CONCERN IS REGARDING ANYTHING WHICH GOT ON TO THE BACKPACK, TRANSFERRED ON TO MY COAT AND INSIDE MY CAR, AND THEN INSIDE MY HOUSE WHEN I GOT HOME.
-DO I NEED TO WORRY/FEEL GUILTY IN ANY WAY ABOUT ANY CONTAMINANTS WHICH MAY HAVE GOTTEN ON THE BAG, MY COAT, THE CAR, OR ANYWHERE INSIDE THE HOUSE?
-ANY SHORT-TERM OR LONG-TERM HEALTH CONSEQUENCES FOR MYSELF OR ANYONE ELSE WHO HAS BEEN IN OUR HOME
-IS IT A PROBLEM IF OUR COATS WERE NOT CLEANED? (MY HUSBAND'S COATS WERE HUNG BESIDE MINE AND I AM CONCERNED THAT THERE MAY BE SOME CONTAMINANTS ON THEM AND THAT HE DOESN'T WANT TO WASH THEM. IS THIS A HEALTH CONCERN IN ANY WAY? DOES IT MATTER IF HE HANDLES HIS COATS WITH HIS HANDS AND DOESN'T WASH HIS HANDS AFTERWARDS?)
-WE HAVE SINCE MOVED THE COATS FROM THE CLOSET THEY WERE HANGING IN AND SPRAYED IT DOWN (INCLUDING THE HANGERS) WITH VINEGAR. IS THIS ENOUGH TO CLEAN IT AND FEEL SECURE WHEN PUTTING COATS IN THAT THEY WILL NOT BE CONTAMINATED IN ANY WAY.
-IF NONE OF THIS IS A PROBLEM, PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
WE HAVE SOMEONE COMING TOMORROW TO FIX SOME PLUMBING ISSUES. HE WILL BE WALKING AROUND IN HIS BOOTS IN THE LAUNDRY ROOM. DO WE NEED TO WORRY ABOUT CLEANING THE FLOOR AFTERWARDS? ANY SHORT-TERM OR LONG-TERM HEALTH EFFECTS WE NEED TO WORRY ABOUT. IF THE FLOOR NEEDS TO BE SWEPT, CAN WE DO SO IN STOCKING FEET IF WE CHANGE OUR SOCKS AND WASH OUR HANDS IMMEDIATELY AFTERWARD OR DOES THIS MATTER?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
TO CONFIRM- I DID NOT PICK UP ENOUGH RESIDUE FROM THE FARMER'S FIELD TO CONTAMINATE MYSELF OR ANYTHING IN THE HOUSE IN ANY WAY?DO WE EVER NEED TO WORRY ABOUT WALKING FROM ROOM TO ROOM WITH JUST OUR STOCKING FEET WITH OUT TRANSFERRING GERMS/CONTAMINANTS FROM ONE AREA TO ANOTHER, PARTICULARLY FROM WHERE WE WALK IN AND TAKE OUR SHOES OFF AT THE FRONT AND BACK DOORS, AND THE HALLWAY MY HUSBAND USES TO COME INTO THE GARAGE.IF A BOX OR CONTAINER OF FOOD DROPS TO THE FLOOR IN THE KITCHEN, BUT IS PICKED UP RIGHT AWAY DOES IT MATTER IF THE CONTAINER IS CLEANED, OR IF MY HANDS ARE NOT CLEANED? ANY CONTAMINANTS TO WORRY ABOUT ON THE BOX OR CONTAINER THAT I COULD BE SPREADING TO OTHER FOODS OR OTHER AREAS OF THE HOUSE. ANY SHORT-TERM OR LONG-TERM HEALTH CONSEQUENCES?