How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Bray, MD Your Own Question
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 10341
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Anthony Bray, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I started having pain in vaginal area (at age 57) and could

Customer Question

I started having pain in vaginal area (at age 57) and could not have intercourse with my husband. I think it is from tearing or cutting after childbirth. Is this a common thing?
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: Well, I'm 73 now and it started when I was 57. We just stopped. He was having problems, too, being 14 years older than me. My husband became ill and died in 2013.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No, I've just had one child. I just met someone and I'm worried about this now. I did mention it last time I had an exam but she didn't know anything that could be done. She was a NP. I need to see a Gyn, I suppose, to get an answer.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 8 months ago.


I recommend >> YES >> have gynecologist to examine you

I suspect that you likely have suffered from post-menopausal vaginal atrophy which is a common problem...

Perhaps your Gyn doctor may discuss treatment options such as Premarin vaginal cream

If vaginal atrophy that may help but I would use treatment for a couple months before attempting intercourse

Also if you try and resume sexual relations I advise that you use a lubricant ...

Talk with your partner and take things slow and gentle !!

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** I did neglect to tell you that the NP did tell me that the skin had thinned out quite a bit and I could hardly stand to be touched when she was examining me. I appreciate your efforts but you really didn't tell me a lot that I didn't already know. I'll give you 4 stars for your efforts and understanding of the situation, but I won't be continuing with the service.