Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

Is there a blood test that checks for clotting? I have been

Customer Question

Is there a blood test that checks for clotting? I have been on Xeralto and Plavix since having a left carotid stent 6 weeks ago and a TAVR procedure 3 weeks ago. I have been bleeding profusely from tiny holes in my skin on my legs, back and arms.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

there are blood test to check your platelet levels and and clotting times of PT, PTT, and INR.

these are clotting times which can be checked with blood tests and can be elevated if you are taking warfarin (coumadin) or have protein problems from your liver causing bleeding.

I am sorry you are having profuse bleeding.

taking plavix and xarelto can cause blood thinning and bleeding through thin skin.

sounds like you have several reasons to need to have your blood thinned at this point.

you should follow up with your surgeons and heart doctors

to see if you need both plavix and xarelto. why are your doctors putting you on both? usually most patients go on one or the other.