Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Self employed 40 years experience Ob-Gyn

I have secondary amennorhea now for 3 months, this has

Customer Question

I have secondary amennorhea now for 3 months, this has happened to me twice in the past. I'm a 36y/o female with lupus and polycythemia vera. The last time I took probes 10mg, I developed atrocious symptoms severe unilateral edema (also habe a hx of angioedema). I have a high sensitivity to pretty much all medications after taking doxycycline 100mg bid for a year in 2012 for meioboan gland dysfunction after a flight I developed angioedema and all these sensitivities to both medications and food. Can I take misoprpstol 200 mcg vaginally to induce menstrual flow
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 22 days ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Manos, M.D., board certified ObGyn. I can answer your question.
Taking misoprostil wouldn't be appropriate. The reason for the amenorrhea needs to be determined. Is there a corpus luteum cyst that has lingered and the lining of the uterus is thin and all miso would do is make you cramp. Is there something that has the lining of the uterus too thick building toward a period that miso will cause some pretty heavy bleeding. You should be checked with a basic ultrasound to look at the lining. I hope I've answered your question and thanks for using Justanswer.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Dr. Manos I was told stress is what has brought upon my amenorrhea and the fact that I dropped to 86 pounds in August after battling a wicked strep throat infxn. I usually weigh 92 pounds currently am 95 since September. I went thru harsh medications for lupus in 2012, prolonged prednisone at high doses and cellcept to benlysta and since then my weight has been 92-95. I myself am a vascular physician assistant - I started for weekly Chinese cupping after my last experience with amennorhea. I had no problem for 2.5 years - I missed 3 weeks in September following a flight back from Chicago. I was told the stress of the flight also thru a wrench in my cycle-i did take 4 tablets of the misoprpstol at 4pm yday I have very mild cramping and still not bleeding. I do not want to take the drivers what else can I do? And I've been drinking a tom of orange juice the last 3 days to jumpstart my cycle I'm very stressed over this my hormones are all over the place and I've been binge eating due to these atrocious cravings which is detrimental since I'm eating all foods I have high sensitivity to and the edema in my legs... ughhh lupus and pv are things I cope with - I need some remedy from this amenorrhea. What can ypu suggest
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 21 days ago.
I'm sorry to not get back to you but as I texted earlier you need an ultrasound to match your lining (endometrium) with your ovaries. Depending on what is seen, then you might need some blood tests to see if the stress shut your ovaries or pituitary gland. Maybe your thyroid is contributing to this. Taking this or that to correct the problem is moving ahead blindly. I've been doing this for many years and the diagnosis isn't difficult to figure out.