Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine

I have one question to clarify. Given that a infected aedes

Customer Question

Hi doctor,I have one question to clarify. Given that a infected aedes mosquito bit 3 different people on the same day, will all 3 be infected with dengue virus? And why?
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 26 days ago.

Hi there.
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. SH and will be helping you out with your concerns today.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 26 days ago.

It would be very unlikely for one mosquito to infect three people.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 26 days ago.

Another thing is that once the mosquito bites, it has already taken its meal and is full so it would usually bite only one person at one time. So the same mosquito biting three people is a little unlikely.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Lets say the mosquito bit 3 person at 10am, 4pm, 10pm respectively on the same day, why is it that it is unlikely for all 3 to get infected since it carried the virus in the body?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 25 days ago.

Actually the mosquito has to have a certain amount of virus present in its saliva to cause the infection.

If it has transmitted the virus to one person, the first person will be at the highest risk as he is the one that gets the full dose of the saliva and the virus in it but the rest will be unlikely to get the infection as a certain dose of the virus is required to cause infection.