Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I took xanax regularly about one a day, for a couple of

Customer Question

I took xanax regularly about one a day, for a couple of months. Just trying to hang on,without a breakdown. I did not have a prescription. I have been seeing a therapist for 8 months. She had a talk with my Doctor, i requested this. She diagnosed me finally with bi-polar. The Dr put me on depakote, sept 13th. I saw him again sept 27th, he drug screened me i tested positive for xanax. I hadnt had one since sept 11th. Is that normal. I weigh 177 5'4 tall. Is it possible he will drop me as a patient?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Most people would be negative by 16 days after the last use of Xanax. However, there is a small percentage of people that clear Xanax and its metabolites more slowly, and in these people, it may cause a positive test for a longer period of time. You are obviously one of these people for the drug test to still be positive 16 days after the last use.

He will probably not drop you as a patient, as he is apparently not considering a prescription for a controlled substance. However, for him to consider continuing as your doctor, it is important that you are honest with him about previous drug use and he may also expect avoidance of future use of Xanax.

If he feels that you are not being honest with him, then it would be more likely that he will drop you as a patient.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I feel much better. I definitely recommend this site, i was so worried. Thank you for answering so quick. I will sleep much better this weekend.

You are most welcome.

Please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What a great site. The Dr. Answered quickly. I will sleep much better this weekend. Thank you so much Dr. Love.

You are very welcome.