Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

Just typing one now for a rheumatologist. Do you have a

Customer Question

Just typing one now for a rheumatologist. Do you have a rheumatologist on staff?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I am only taking tylenol. I have a rheumatologist of my own in Canada. I just wanted a quick opinion on the use of Humira for nonaxial spondylarthropy.
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: Allergic to CT contrast only. Taking depakote, risperdal (for bipolar). I was taking Mobic for my back but my stomach was found to be riddled with holes on a recent endoscopy.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I was going to write out all the information in the box for the doctor. I have some mild erosions in my sacroiliac joints. I am age 50. 30 years ago I was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis. I want to know if Humira could be considered appropriate if my MRIs show the erosive changes in my sacroiliac joints are mild. I have the HLA-B27 gene which is common in people with ankylosing spondylitis and undifferentiated spondylarthropies.
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I am experiencing significantly more pain and stiffness since stopping the Mobic.Although I have had AS for 30 years, for much of that time it was very quiet with very infrequent flares. For many years I ran a lot - I ran a bunch of half marathons. It is only in recent years that the pain came back and I did not know how much the NSAIDs helped until I stopped the Mobic. The stomach damage is probably from the early years when I had severe pain in my SI joints and was only taking aspirin.
Expert:  The Physician replied 28 days ago.

Hello I have more than 20 years experience a physician

Just to get you understand erosions of the sacroiliac joint, I want you to use the analogy of a nut with a washer in the front end of your car.

The sacro iliac joint uses a fibrous washer to cushion the effect of your weight and the force of gravity, and as we are getting old, this 'washer' begin to 'wear' just like in nuts and bolts washers

The HLA-B27 genes are just differentiating markers found in person with more susceptible to 'inflammation (causing pain) in the joints' as this 'wearing' process continues (called erosion in medical terms).

Humira inhibits some of the factors that 'propagate this inflammation and pain. It is called the TNF or (tumor necrosis factor)

Humira with benefit you, but you may need an additional medicine for pain in the first few days, if you are feeling severe pain. This is because t takes a few days for the FULL effect of humira begin to control the inflammation