Experience:  MBBS, FCPS

Patient has been vomiting, some small amount of blood, very

Customer Question

Patient has been vomiting, some small amount of blood, very sore throat, difficulty in swallowing, burning tongue and lips.
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? Do you have a fever?
Customer: This has only occurred tonight. doesn't seem to have a fever
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: has been undergoing breast cancer treatment (long term prognosis good)earlier this year with chemo and radiation and been on the 3rd stage tablets for well over a month
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DR.EHTISHAM replied 25 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Sorry to hear about this

Was it a fresh blood ?

Was the blood mixed with food particles or just a streak on outside ?

Any change in stool color ?

Do you have cough as well ?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
It is my wife age 64.were food particles
don't know about stool color
cough but being caused by sore throat more than anything else

Thanks for the information

Just few more information before I can answer your problem

Can you name her current medicines ?

This sore throat appeared after the vomiting or it was already there ?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Sore throat after the vomiting and now finding out the names of the medicines. She earlier had a couple of glasses of wine but no more than usual.
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
lovan and aromasin

Thanks for information

Blood in vomiting can be a feature of inflamed stomach or an ulceration in the stomach. If your wife had this blood in vomitus I would suggest that she needs to be investigated. An upper GI endoscopy will be helpful in looking at the esophagus and stomach directly. Sometime after persistent vomiting a streak of blood can appear in the vomitus due to a tear in the stomach lining. She should take omeprazole and do see the doctor in ER right now for further evaluation. A complication of the breast cancer leading to compromised liver and thus a variceal bleed need to be ruled out.(although chances are very low considering breast cancer is currently under control) Also if you are not sure whether the blood was in vomitus or cough a lung evaluation to rule out any metastasis in lung will be required. Hopefully it will be a minor tear in the stomach and will settle with treatment but she needs investigations.

Good luck

Feel free to ask if any more question

If done Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating