Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have had bouts of diverticulitis over the past few years.

Customer Question

I have had bouts of diverticulitis over the past few years. I am 70 years old and in general good health. Most years I have no diverticulitis incidents at all, and in some years I have a single incident that I treat with cipro and flagyl which works almost immediately to eliminate any pain and low grade fever. I have never had any bleeding in my stool and I haven't had any incidents in nearly 18 months. Recently I had a routine colonoscopy and was told that I should consider surgery to remove a section of my bowel where the diverticuli are located. There were no indications of cancer or polyps anywhere in the colon. Surgery seems a bit extreme for someone in my condition. Any thoughts as to why surgery would be recommended with such a relatively mild presentation of symptoms over a long period of time?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 months ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

I understand your dilemma.

Repeated attacks of diverticulitis even if mild over a period of time weakens the colon lining or wall at the affected segment.

This increases the risk of bowel perforation with aging process.

That is why, partial colectomy is advised for the affected segment if there is evidence of weak wall from colonoscopy.

This will also prevent any further diverticulitis attack by the way besides avoiding bowel perforation ( a disastrous complication in some cases).
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/