Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have a question involving my little toe on my left foot.

Customer Question

I have a question involving my little toe on my left foot. It has been broken twice the last time 4 years ago. It now "curves" under the toe next to it to the point that the nail is completely hidden and that the skin on that fourth toe "bulges up" on the side and is callused. I cannot wear closed toed shoes except for very wide soft shoes like slippers without putting a modified (I cut off one edge of it) gel toe separater between the two toes. If I do not do so, the little toe rubs against the fourth toe and this causes very painful friction sores. The two toes cannot touch each other at all otherwise the rubbing and discomfort happens very quickly. I am on my feet a lot for work and am always replacing the separaters and even this is not an ideal solution.Is there a possibility of any other remedy for this problem? Thanks
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

do you have a pic?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can send one
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Picture of toe
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am sending this again. Not sure it went through

I see it.

how can I help with this?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am trying to find out if there might be a way to change or correct this. Just using the gel toe separaters. is not an ideal solution because they get crushed over time and don't keep the toes separated or using them force the little toe against the side of the shoe and that can rub.
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 2 months ago.

Hello!

This is Dr. Anthony Bray a different expert as Dr.Phil opted out ....

I advise that you consult a podiatrist for help with this problem...

Are you willing to consider surgery if that would help ?

I suspect this approach would be advised by a podiatrist ...

You have a problem with the angulation of the toe ...

That may be fixed ...I think it will need surgery to accomplish this however

I hope that this is helpful for you

Best regards!

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your help. I suspected this was a possibility but it would depend on how long I would have to be off my feet as anything over a week would be a major financial hardship and might cost me one or both my jobs.I was looking for advice here as a starting point so to speak before I went to the trouble and expense of seeing a specialist. Thanks again.

Hello again,

You are very welcome !

Good luck with this ! I hope that it goes well for you!

Ask the podiatrist about options ( not optimal but what may be possible as to use of a walking post op boot ..)

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD