Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

What can you take to relief the pain of a torn ligament, was

Customer Question

what can you take to relief the pain of a torn ligament
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: was diagnosed with the torn ligament last friday saw the specialist on monday and go back for an mri next monday
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: they have my complete record taking diabetes pills
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 24 days ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask what medication are you currently using for the pain? Apart from diabetes what other medical conditions do you have?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
no pain reliefer and i have high colestrol

Well from what you are describing there are a few options to help relieve the pain from a torn ligament which i will enlist below,

1) OTC painkillers which can include

- Ibuprofen 400-800 mg three times a day

- Naproxen 500 mg twice a day

- acetaminophen 1 g three times a day

I would suggest that you start with acetaminophen or tylenol which should help with the pain and if it doesnt then you should use naproxen or aleve.

2) OTC topical gel like voltaren gel, apply twice a day which will help in reduce the inflammation in the area and provide pain relief

3) ICE the area for upto 10 minutes a time, three times a day

Now apart from these OTC measures you can be given prescription painkillers like percocet or even steroids injections into the area which would help inr educing the inflammation and provide pain relief. However if the torn ligament is of a higher grade or is completely torn from the bone then surgery would be needed to help here. Ina ddition rest is extremely important, avoid using or exerting the ligament. Usually rest for 6-8 weeks is necessary for proper healing to occur.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

Would you like to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.