Well from what you are describing there are a few options to help relieve the pain from a torn ligament which i will enlist below,
1) OTC painkillers which can include
- Ibuprofen 400-800 mg three times a day
- Naproxen 500 mg twice a day
- acetaminophen 1 g three times a day
I would suggest that you start with acetaminophen or tylenol which should help with the pain and if it doesnt then you should use naproxen or aleve.
2) OTC topical gel like voltaren gel, apply twice a day which will help in reduce the inflammation in the area and provide pain relief
3) ICE the area for upto 10 minutes a time, three times a day
Now apart from these OTC measures you can be given prescription painkillers like percocet or even steroids injections into the area which would help inr educing the inflammation and provide pain relief. However if the torn ligament is of a higher grade or is completely torn from the bone then surgery would be needed to help here. Ina ddition rest is extremely important, avoid using or exerting the ligament. Usually rest for 6-8 weeks is necessary for proper healing to occur.
Do you have any more questions?
Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,