Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I just received lab results from my Oncologist and need to

Customer Question

I just received lab results from my Oncologist and need to know the meaning of
JA: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?
Customer: Yes Lab results: Kappa Light Chain: 127.00 mg/dl Lambda Light Chain: 46.50 mg/dl Total Kappa/Lamdba Ratio: 2.73 What does it mean.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Suffering from Non-Hoskins Lymphoma which has been in check for two years no longer taking any treatments.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 2 months ago.

Can i ask are your renal function tests within normal range? And also why did your doctor get the light chain assays done? what were your symptoms?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Blood count was low, also Iron, low hemoglobin, low red blood cells

Well from what you are describing, the light chain assays are raised above the normal range. The range for kappa light chains is between 2.2 - 19.4 while for lambda it is between 5.71-26.3, similarly the ratio is also raised. Now the reason i asked about renal function was that in presence of an abnormal renal function test, the ranges for the ratio change and a higher level is considered as normal and since your renal functions are normal (im assuming) then that means that ratio is also raised. These three findings CAN indicate that you may be suffering from multiple myeloma or MGUS. This would confirmed on the basis of a bone marrow biopsy. The raised free chains indicate that your cells are producing a high number of light chains or abnormal proteins which would cause these problems. A bone marrow can help determine if it has been infirtrated by plasma cells which are producing these light chains.

So these test results CAN (not definitely though as a bone marrow is needed for confirmation) indicate that you may be suffering from multiple myeloma or monocloncal gammopathy of undetermined significance (MGUS). And i would suggest that you contact your oncoloogist for further testing.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

It is likely to be MGUS as it is commonly associated with Non hodgkins lymphoma and in such a case nothing needs to be done apart from monitoring the situation. In addition the light chain ratio can also be used to look for residual disease (non hodgkins lymphoma) in patients whose lymphoma is remission such as your case, a high ratio could be indicative that further testing needs to be done to determine if there are signs of the lymphoma becoming active again. Again a bone marrow biopsy and other tests would be necessary here

Do you have any more questions?