Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Urgent Care Physician
96392890

I have had two to eight bumps on my scalp off and on for six

Customer Question

I have had two to eight bumps on my scalp off and on for six months. I had a dermatologist check it twice and the latest was 6 weeks ago. She said it was simply irritation of the hair follicles.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No medications; two weeks ago at 2 am, my scalp was itching and 10-12 tiny black bugs fell out with blood in them. I was horrified and took a specimen in and they could not identify them. Perhaps they were too small. I have checked on line and there is a type of mite that feeds on blood. We have travelled extensively this year and have no pets so it is very odd. I have tried tea tree shampoo and lemon juice, and witch hazel. It will stop the itching but does not control the bug. I saw one alive yesterday as it crawled in my sink. They are extemely small. Any idea and any suggestion. Perhaps I need to go to a vet?
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: None and allergic to sulphur....
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I am very healthy....never had anything in my hair and scalp previously. I am guessing I picked it up travelling. We were in Canada for a week in May.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I am here to help you. Give me just a moment to read and think about your case and I'll reply in just a moment.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 2 months ago.

Before going to a vet have you tried lice medication over the counter? Lice are quite common in travelers from staying in different environments. Different areas may have different lice.

Mites are also possible but mites are less common to cause bumps on the scalp and though they will cause a lot of itching, the bumps are a less likely reaction.

Do you have a picture of these by any chance?

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 2 months ago.

It's not scabies and it's not bed bugs, those wouldn't present in that manner.

Lice will crawl around and they are fast movers. They can lay eggs and they cause intense itching, worse at night. Bleeding can occur.

The good news is that lice are easy to get rid of. Over the counter lice medication and soaps and shampoos are a good start and lice combs are another fantastic alternative or addition to the medication.

It may take some time to get rid of them since you have had them for some time but it's important to start on this.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 2 months ago.

Another condition that causes hard bumps on the scalp is epidermoid cysts which you can look up online. These bumps are not painful, they are very firm and usually don't change much over a few years but can spontaneously go away.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions regarding this.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 2 months ago.

If you have any other question please let me know, otherwise please click on "Rating" to close this visit.

Dr. Ashori

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 2 months ago.

Please click on "Rating" in order to close this case and complete the transaction.
Dr Ashori

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 2 months ago.

Hi there. In order for me to be compensated for this question please click on "Rating".

Thank you.

Dr. Ashori

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 1 month ago.

In order for me to be paid for this conversation please complete it by clicking on "Rating".
Thank you.