Dr. Ashori
Dr. Ashori, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Urgent Care Physician
96392890

I have numb hands, really bad dry mouth and a congested noae

Customer Question

I have numb hands, really bad dry mouth and a congested noae my doctor said it was a virus but it's been affecting me for a month now but improving
JA: Have you noticed any recent swelling? Do you have any tooth pain?
Customer: Nope
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Blood tests and ct scans also showed nothing
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ashori replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will reply to you in just a moment, allow me to read the question.

I'm glad the CT scan and blood tests were normal, that's very reassuring. However the symptoms you are suffering from sound miserable since they have been going on for a month.

A virus can hang on for quite some time, even though most patients only have it for a few days, some will have it for months.

If it's improving then that's really important, your body is likely encountering a very strong virus and building an immune response.

The dryness could be from the inflammation of the sinuses and nasal tract. Medications can cause it too but you would know because the dryness would be temporary. I assume you are no longer having any high fevers or severe body aches?

Please let me know if this information helped.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That makes sense. My stool also is improving. I have never had a sickness like this which is why I'm a bit worried. Once the virus hit I was barely able to walk, it's improving but I occasionally get dizzy. How much longer do you expect this virus to last?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The high fevers are gone but I occasionally get aches. The doctor said it wasn't Epstein Barr but some weird virus

It can last another 1-2 weeks but should improve soon. The tingling and numbness is from peripheral vasoconstriction, it will take some time for that to resolve. The best thing you can do is hydrate aggressively. Get plenty of rest, I know we say this a lot but it's vital.

Cytomegalovirus is another common virus that can cause this. Also benign bacterial infections such as lysteria can cause this.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yeah it sounds like a cmv infection, i have all of the symptoms. Also I'm 24 years old.

Quite possible and common.

Please let me know if you have any other questions about it, I'm happy to answer them.

Expert:  Dr. Ashori replied 6 months ago.

If you have no other questions you can click on "Rating" to complete this session.

It was my pleasure chatting with you.

Dr. Ashori

How are you doing today? Any improvement?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
A bit better, breathing is still a bit off and my hands are still numb/overly pink

It might take time for it to resolve, but I'm convinced that the sensation will fully go back to normal in time.

Hope my answers were helpful.
If you are done with this case please click on "Rating" to complete it.
Thank you
Dr Ashori

If you have any other question please let me know, otherwise please click on "Rating" to close this visit.

Dr. Ashori

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Im now taking omeprazole because of additional pain in my chest from the virus. How long does it take to cause an effect?

On average 2 weeks.

Some patients get relief as early as 10 days.

Anything else I can help you out with?

Please click on "Rating" in order to close this case and complete the transaction. Dr Ashori

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Would the virus cause peripheral vasoconstruction?

No, it wouldn't affect the vessel function.

Bacteria can do that but no virus of that kind.