Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)
6740150

I am 79 years and am experiencing persistent cough and

Customer Question

I am 79 years and am experiencing persistent cough and shortness of breath.. I am also overweight and type 2 diabetic..what is causing this cough ?
JA: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?
Customer: two months
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: allergic to pennicillin
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 2 months ago.

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

Do you have any thick green phlegm along with this cough?

Sore throat?

Any tests done so far?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 2 months ago.
<p style="margin-top:3.15pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:3.15pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:15.65pt">Dear customer

<div style="mso-element:para-border-div;border:none;border-bottom:solid windowtext 1.0pt;
mso-border-bottom-alt:solid windowtext .75pt;padding:0in 0in 0in 0in"><p style="margin-top:3.15pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:3.15pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:15.65pt;border:none;mso-border-bottom-alt:solid windowtext .75pt;
padding:0in;mso-padding-alt:0in 0in 0in 0in">Thank you for coming back online.

The symptoms you have described of having chronic persistent cough and shortness of breath since last 2 months can be due to following causes: asthma, allergic rhinitis, sinus problems like sinus infection,esophageal reflux of stomach contents(GERD),postnasal drip (Rhinorrhea).

Other cause are:lung diseases such as chronic bronchitis,bronchiectasis,certain medications,respiratory irritants such as chemicals.cigarette smoking is another most common cause of chronic cough.

You need following tests:

• X-ray chest,
  • Pulmonary function test,
  • Allergy and sinus tests,
  • Endoscopy,bronchoscopy.

Use a humidifier to help keep the air moist and your sputum thin. This makes it easier to cough up the sputum. As the mucus gets collected in bronchioles,there is less space available for air to come & go and hence there is shortage of breath.

You need short & long acting bronchodilator inhalers and/or steroid medication.

So my best advise for you is to please make an appointment with your doctor to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment with cough suppressant medications and bronchodialator medications will be done accordingly.This will help you greatly.

Thank you.Hope this helped.Is there is anything else that you would like to know? I am happy to address your follow-up questions. Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me Kind Regards

Dr.Josh