Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I have taken konsyl regularl daily for last 3 yrs. As a

Customer Question

I have taken konsyl regularl daily for last 3 yrs. As a proactive preventive ,and have had large regular normal bowel movements . then suddenly it stopped and I had hard impacted stool that needed an enema to pass. Since then I have had difficulty passing stool it just seems to stay in my colon and not reach the rectum. when I lie down (supine)and deeply palpate my midsection I think I feel my colon full and it feels like it is Fuller in one area than the other.(which possibly is the sigmoid colon) I has been taking Cipro 750 mg for about 2.5 weeks prior to this for prostate infection ,which cleared up ok my question is is it possible for Cipro to cause it and wouldn't you expect the problem to resolve on its own as it's been 3 weeks since I stopped taking the Cipro? Other possibility is Extreme stress and anxiety within the last 223 weeks could this trigger a Fantastic Four functional problem in the colon where it is causing a stricture? It is noteworthy that the store I do pass seems to be roppe like stricture types of species does that mean that there is a stricture filling defect somewhere in the colon? Are there other differentials for this besides Cipro functional Ileus Fred colon cancer diverticulosis?(no abdominal pain or blood stool. Mineral oil castor oil and bisodactyl came to get me going but then diarrhea. I went to a gastroenterologist and all he would say is I can't answer any questions until after I do colonoscopy which is scheduled for 2 weeks from now very uninformative. Incidentally my father suffered from celiac disease and my niece and nephew have been diagnosed with it as well however from what I understand this usually does not cause constipation and is usually a small intestine problems rather than colon Worried thank you.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 month ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

There are many possible causes if your symptoms, and your Gastroenterologist is correct that any specific discussion would require evaluation, but we can discuss possibilities. Let me address each of your questions in order.

It is uncommon for Cipro to cause constipation, but it has been reported. The constipation from Cipro would also typically improve when it has been 3 weeks since the Cipro has been stopped. It is more common for Cipro to cause diarrhea, which can be attributed to the antibiotic killing the good germs in the gut. It is not as clear why constipation can be caused, but it is also reasonable to try to replenish the good germs in the gut whenever an antibiotic causes altered bowel movements. This can be done by eating yogurt with active cultures or by taking a probiotic supplement.

It is common for stress and anxiety to cause constipation, and this is primarily due to an effect on muscular activity in the gut. This actually can cause either an increase or a decrease in muscular activity of the gut, so may cause either constipation or diarrhea, and in a small percentage of cases, it may alternate between the two. However, it would be unusual for the altered muscular activity to cause a stricture. There may be such muscular spasm that it acts similar to a stricture, but it is not truly a stricture.

A stricture certainly can occur for other reasons, such as inflammation of the colon. When there is an inflammatory disease of the colon, it can be exacerbated by stress, but is not truly caused by the stress.

As for the rope like stool, any condition that causes a narrowing of the colon can cause such changes in the stool. It can be due to a stricture, but it also can be due to muscle spasm or swelling related to inflammation, as will as other causes, such as inflammation associated with a diverticula or a growth in the colon.

You are correct that celac disease will typically cause diarrhea, not constipation.

Statistically, the most likely of all these problems is the altered muscular activity, but the evaluation that is scheduled is the appropriate step to determine the exact cause, rather than assuming the most likely cause. Until you have the colonoscopy, it certainly would be OK to eat yogurt or take a probiotic, as well as continuing the interventions to assist the bowel movements.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.