Daniel Sheibley, MD
Daniel Sheibley, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MD Grad Jefferson Medical College 2009. Internal Med intern 2010 & Radiology residency 2011. Husband & father of two.

I woke up this morning with pain in the upper left side of

Customer Question

I woke up this morning with pain in the upper left side of my back under my shoulder blade, it hurts a lot to breath in deep and move,
JA: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: no recent injuries, breathing in deep really hurts, not moving and breathing shallow makes it better
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Daniel Sheibley, MD replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Most likely this is a pulled muscle that happened during your sleep. Otherwise, other potential causes are developing respiratory infection, and more rare but potentially dangerous are a clot in the arteries of your lung or tearing of your aorta which can happen (older smokers or young people with a genetic disease you'd already know if you had). Have you been sick? Are you a smoker? Are you a male or female and if so are you on birth control? Any recent travel?