Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I've been diagnosed with reactive hypoglycaemia and recently

Customer Question

Hi I've been diagnosed with reactive hypoglycaemia and recently had fasting test to rule out inslinoma but having trouble getting any information about other causes of reactive hypoglycaemia the doctor I have been seeing doesn't know much about it. I'm about at the end of my tether, I've had it for just over 4 years now had to argue to get tested, something has got to be causing it, have you any ideas. Thank you
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes I've seen a doctor and no medication
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: Don't take any medication at all allergic to penicillin and dyclafenic (not sure how it's spelt)
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have polycystic ovarie syndrome, had a cancerous tumour on my kidney
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 30 days ago.

Hi. I am Dr Abid.Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.
I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply.

Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 30 days ago.

Reactive hypoglycemia , is not only because of Insulinoma , It's possible to have symptoms that are similar to reactive hypoglycemia without actually having low blood sugar. True reactive hypoglycemia symptoms that are caused by low blood sugar occurring after eating are uncommon. For the majority of people with postprandial symptoms, the actual cause of the symptoms is not clear but may relate to what food was eaten or variations in the timing of the food moving through the stomach and intestinal tract. It could be because of , Alimentary hypoglycemia , Hormonal hypoglycemia like in low thyroid hormone levels , H pylori induced gastritis , Congenital enzyme deficiencies , so , there are many causes .

You should ask your dr to rule all above mentioned fats about it .

Good luck .

Please let me know if you have any further questions. And please take the time to leave me a positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer. You can always ask me for a follow-up question post rating the answer. You can also ask for me in the future by going on the link”

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
As I already said, it has been confirmed that I have reactive hypoglycaemia, I know it's rare and not many doctors know a lot about it this is why I'm having trouble finding information and why I contacted you to see if you can help. Please be honest if you don't know anything about it let me know just don't tell me it's rare and hypoglycaemia can be caused by other things or that you can have the symptoms without low blood sugar, I've had a week of blood sugar levels between 3.3 and 4.2 I eat a very low hi diet can't cope with more than 10g of carbs per meal other wise I have a hypo with in about 30 mins of eating.
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Sorry if I sounded blunt but I'm about at the end of my tether, I just need someone how can give me information about other reasons for reactive hypoglycaemia so I can try and find someone in the uk that can help me
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 29 days ago.

Hello. This is Dr. Love and I have some comments that may be helpful.

First, there are many possible cases of reactive hypoglycaemia. In addition to tumors that secrete insulin, there also can be tumors that secrete insulin-like growth factor (IGF). There are a variety of other endocrine disorders that can be manifested as reactive hypoglycaemia, primarily thyroid disease or adrenal insufficiency. It is also possible to develop an autoimmune process in which antibodies to insulin or the insulin receptor are formed.

However, regardless of the underlying cause, if you are seeking a physician that would be appropriate to evaluate and manage the condition, the usual specialist is an Endocrinologist. And like many rare diseases, it may be a better option to go see an Endocrinologist at a Teaching Hospital. The doctors at Teaching Hospitals have more experience in dealing with rare diseases.