DR.EHTISHAM
DR.EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

I recently had a upper GI. I am waiting on results. What

Customer Question

I recently had a upper GI. I am waiting on results. What does Barrett's esophagus and prepyloric stomach mean. I'm a 67 year old male with Type II diabetes. My sugar and all vitals are fine.My A1C has been 6.0 the last three times they were checked.I take 1 mg of Glipizide per day. The reason I had the upper GI was to try to find out why I have had unexplained weight loss. Will the Barrett's and the stomach gastritis cause this?
Category: Medical
Expert:  DR.EHTISHAM replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Barret esophagus is a condition in which the lining epithelium of the lower part of esophagus is replaced by intestinal type epithelium. It is usually seen in those people who have long standing gastroesophageal reflux disease. Stomach is divided into various part like fundus,body an d pylorus. The area before the pylorus is called pre-pyloric region of stomach. Chronic gastritis can lead to weight loss. Barret esophagus has been associated with tumor of the lower esophagus as well. So if you have an unexplained weight loss it is right to have an endoscopy to find out any mass lesion or local pathology like Barret esophagitis or gastritis responsible for your weight loss. Weight loss usually is not a very common occurrence with these problems unless person is also suffering from a decrease in appetite due to fear of worsening of symptoms.

Good luck

Feel free to ask if any more question

If done Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating

Regards

Are you with me ?

Do ask if any more question