Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Urgent Care Physician
96392890

My 2 years 3 months old granddaughter has one bowel movement

Customer Question

My 2 years 3 months old granddaughter has one bowel movement a day, usually right as she is waking up from a nap at 2PM. Recently (the past few months?) her BM is always very loose and so if I am the one changing her diaper, I see that the poop is all over her, up to her vagina and urethra, so cleaning her is almost impossible. When I am there (we only visit every 6 weeks), I will give her a bath, but I'm worried about 1) the cause of this (my daughter in law says it's just because she eats a lot of fruit and vegetables--but it's not mire than other well-fed toddler), and 2) the possibility that she will get a UTI. My daughter-in-law is a relaxed parent. I'd like to say something to her but not sure what. Because my granddaughter only poops once a day, this doesn't seem to be classic diarrhea.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am reviewing your question, I will reply in a moment.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 2 months ago.

This might be a temporary issue with her, sometimes due to a change in bowel bacteria flora diarrhea can start and can take a few months to normalize. This can happen after a change in diet or recent antibiotics use.

In order to firm up the stool more fiber would help. It's a common misconception that fiber causes diarrhea. Fiber actually bulks up the stool and so it will help. The stool will be less runny with increased fiber. Also, having some rice or bread can also help bind the stool a bit more.

As to how to address it with the parent. that's tough, perhaps expressing your concern with the risk of UTI.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 2 months ago.

I hope the information helped, let me know if you have any questions about the dietary changes I recommended.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 2 months ago.

Hi there, wanted to check on you and see if you were able to have this conversation, I know it's not easy but I hope you were able to. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance in any way.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 2 months ago.

If you have no other questions you can click on "Rating".

It was my pleasure chatting with you.

Dr. Ashori

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 2 months ago.

How is your grand-daughter doing?