Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I am always tired .have difficulty sleeping, have sometimes

Customer Question

I am always tired .have difficulty sleeping, have sometimes painful joints , swollen ankles .I do take medication for high blood pressure.chronic pain in the lower back .Is it possible I could have Lupus. I am 58 yr old female .
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I rarely feel 100% healthy or full of energy.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I sometimes take a course of antihistamine for allergies, I have rhinitis -
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. My name is***** and i am reviewing your question and will get back to you with a response ASAP!!!

Well from what you are describing it certainly is possible that you could have lupus because it sounds like that you do have a disease which is affecting the joints, kidneys as well as other systems of the body. Lupus can also cause swollen eyes, rashes, hair loss, oral ulcers along with muscle aches and pains. This would be diagnosed with the help of tests like ANA, Anti dSDNA as well as a complete metabolic workup.

Now apart from Lupus i wouild also suspect other conditions, the foremost would be hypothyroidism in which your thyroid is not functioning properly. This would lead to fatigue, swollen ankles, hair loss, coarse skin, slow reflexes, aches and pains. The diagnosis is fairly simple with the help of a simple thyroid function test. The treatment would be with the help of thyroid hormone replacement.

In addition, this could also e the result of other autoimmune diseases which could be determined with the ANA test as well as a complete ENA profile. It is also possible that you could have these symptoms as a complication of hypertension which is now effecting the kidneys leading to the fatigue etc.

So i would suggest that you get a complete blood workup done which would include,

CBC/ESR

LFTs,RFTs, Serum elecytyrolytes, phosphate, calcium and albumin level

ANA

Anti dSDNA

Urine examination

Thyroid function tests

These would help in narrowing down the field easily.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.