Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

July 22,2016 I had scans done on my liver, heart, lungs and

Customer Question

July 22,2016 I had scans done on my liver, heart, lungs and kidneys. After I was finished, I was told to go to my nearby hospital ER because a large "bear claw" kidney stone appeared on my scan. I did as instructed and by July 23, 2016 a urologist Dr. Denduluri had inserted a stent up in me and afterward, I was told this large kidney stone was stuck in my urethra tube and needed to be broken up w/ a laser or ultrasound. That procedure was done August 17,2016. I had no symptoms to forewarn me of my condition. I drink no sodas. I do drink a lot of water everyday and partake of various dairy products and coffee as well. Since my procedure to remove the stent, I've noticed my left big toe experiencing sharp pains pulsing through it throughout the day. Should I consult a doctor about these frequent pains or am I just being too concerned about my health?
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: Yes. There is a history of heart disease in my family as well as a Grandmother who died of a brain aneurysm. I myself contracted herpes-simplex-encephalitis as a 16 year old girl. I've had to relearn to walk, talk, and use my hands all over again. I am a fifty three year old woman now and quit smoking cigarettes 15 years ago.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: My Uncle Wade died because his heart exploded in his chest as he was attempting to drive himself to a near by hospital because he was having chest pains. My Mother has severe COPD and congestive heart failure. She has smoked for 50 years. She currently has a C-PAP machine and a stationary oxygen breathing machine equipped w/ a 50 foot cord so she can move around. My Mepaw had sugar diabetes.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

any other medical issues?

sounds to me like this is gout

and this could have been a uric acid stone

was your blood tested for elevated uric acid levels?

Thanks for this question

Please don't forget a positive rating.
I appreciate it. :)

if you have more questions, just reply