Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice

I check my blood pressure and it is 159/73 with a heart rate

Customer Question

I check my blood pressure and it is 159/73 with a heart rate of 68. I took a panic medicine last night when it started. I was able to sleep but the pain came back this morning. I took my wellbutrin and it seemed better today. But after 5:00pm it is back again. I just took Meloxicam 15 mg for pain. What should I do next?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 month ago.

There is no need for you to PANIC with a SINGLE BP reading of 159/73 !!

The systolic there is a bit high and the diastolic ( lower number) is normal ..

We look at the AVERAGE of many numbers as being what counts when it comes to BP readings!!

You may check your BP say once a day or so at different times of day and keep a record ..

Collect your measures after seated and at rest for 10 minutes first > then check your BP an write the number down..

After 15 or 20 measures you then calculate the AVERAGE of these and the AVERAGE should be 135/85 or less....

If you are running ON AVERAGE higher then speak with your doctor ..

The Meloxicam can have some potential to raise BP but not that much ...

Your doctor MIGHT if your BP were running high ON AVERAGE discuss measures such as BP medicine to bring down the average ..

You may help to reduce your salt intake and to get regular daily exercise adn these may also benefit your BP measures.

One or two highish readings as you describe is not so high to cause you to need panic here though !!

I hope that this information is helpful for you!

lEt me know if you have further questions.

I will be happy ti get back with you.

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD