Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO

My son had his right kidney taken out when he was 2 years

Customer Question

My son had his right kidney taken out when he was 2 years old. Now he's a healthy 10 year old, who likes football. I have tried to steer him away from contact sports, especially football. Naturally, he's built like a future linebacker. I know about flack vests...he has one and uses it to play soccer. Is there a flack vest or something else that would help him play football, or is he destined to be a football fan only.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: we are not taking any meds for it. His dr thinks we should not do any contact sports, while his kidney dr said wearing a flax vest would be enough.
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: he does't have anything he's allergic to. He doesn't take any meds
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 1 month ago.

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am board certified and I have 40 years of patient experience. I will be happy to help you today. I'm sorry to hear that your son has only one kidney. Your question is a difficult one to answer from a medical standpoint. Yes, there is protective gear to help prevent trauma to his kidney. The decision, as a parent, could place your son in a position that could cause dialysis and or kidney transplant. There are no percentages I can provide indicating kidney damage from playing football. I was involved as a team physician for a local high school football team for about 6 years. During that time, I did not see any of the players get any serious kidney injuries. So, it would be a rare injury. The final choice rests with you the parent and your son, but if you are willing to take the chance and your son loves to play, the chances of severe injury is minimal.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 1 month ago.

What decision did you make regarding your son playing football?

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 30 days ago.

I'm sorry, did I not give you the answer you wanted to get so you could give a positive rating?