Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I am so embarrassed. I had some tortilla chips with dinner.

Customer Question

I am so embarrassed. I had some tortilla chips with dinner. Feel asleep and woke up with pain in throuat *throat I have a chip lodged in my throat
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? Do you have a fever?
Customer: no fever since 1 am this morning
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 2 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your sym[ptoms. Can i ask do you have any difficulty in swallowing liquids or solids? Any difficulty breathing? Any abnormal sounds when you breathe in deeply? Have you coughed up or vomited up any blood? Any other medical conditions or medications that you may be using?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
difficulty swallowing
voice change
vomiting but no blood

Thank you for the additional information, i will just compose my answer and get back to you in a couple of minutes!!!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no cant talk well

Well from what you are describing, the good news is that you dont have difficulty breathing BUT do have hoarseness of voice so it means that the chip may have damaged part of the area near the vocal cords which is causing teh hoarseness, if so this would heal over time. However it DOES need an examination to check if part of the chip is lodged in this area causing the hoarseness.

Now the second thing is the pain in the throat and difficulty swallowing, now in most cases this sort of foriegn body would disolodge on its own however with the vomiting, it is important to have this evaluated. I think you may need an endoscopy as well as a indirect laryngoscopy to have this checked out. Given the variety of symptoms that you have i am slightly worried about the chance of your osoephagus perforating due to teh tortilla chip, it is HIGHLY unlikely but with the symptoms that you have i would not take a chance and have this evaluated IMMEDIATELY in the ER or at your local urgent care center. It is possible that it stuck up in teh tract and can be removed under direct vision so it is best to have this checked out ASAP. DONT try to remove it yourself though or induce vomiting that can make matters worse. Go to the ER.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.