Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS(R)

I have a son who had some breathing problems and had a

Customer Question

I have a son who had some breathing problems and had a feeding tube inserted about 4 months ago. We have started giving him liquids by mouth about 1 month ago. We take a mouth swab, dip it in a liquid and rub it around his mouth for a few seconds. We do this for about 5 minutes a day and have not had any problems. Yesterday we tried this same technique using some banana pudding and it went well. Today we tried it again with some baby food (fruit) and towards the end of the feed he coughed up some white frothy mucus. About 2 hours later he coughed again and expelled more mucus (about a tablespoon) but it was not white and frothy but rather a cream color and gooey. I'm pretty sure he did not aspirate and his vitals were good. Should we stop swabbing his mouth with soft foods and liquids? Or is this nothing to worry about. He now is breathing very clearly with no girgling sounds.
JA: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?
Customer: He has been coughing daily but sometimes he brings up mucus and some time he does not. When he doesn't we suction him and also use a compression vest once or twice a day.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: He had a kidney stone removed last March and ever since then has been producting a lot of mucus. When we hear him weezing we use the suction machine and his family doctor ordered a compression vest. The doctors at the hospital inserted the feeding tube and indicated it would prevent him from aspirating. He is so very unhappy not being able to eat so we tried swabbing his mouth with juice every day. Now he wanted to try some soft foods which we did. The result of giving him soft foods made him expel a very large amount of mucus. But he says he feel fine and his vitals are good.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 1 month ago.

Hi. I am Dr Abid.Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.
I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply.

Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 1 month ago.

This seems to be chest infection , it would be ideal to get his chest X ray and Blood CP .

You may continue swabbing , this will not effect , he has not aspirated but possibility of infection should be ruled out .

Regards ***** ***** luck .

Please let me know if you have any further questions. And please take the time to leave me a positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer. You can always ask me for a follow-up question post rating the answer. You can also ask for me in the future by going on the link”