Michael Salama
Michael Salama,
Experience:  Medical director at San Miguel Medical Clinic
93434137

I'm a Gulf war veteran. I've been diagnosed with severe

Customer Question

Hi. I'm a Gulf war veteran. I've been diagnosed with severe sleep apnea, which my wife says I've had over twenty years. I believe this happened due to being exposed to the burn pits in the area. Thanks for any thoughts on this. A.D.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Michael Salama replied 2 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Salama MD,

Have you had a sleep study?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

There are 2 types of sleep apnea: central sleep apnea and obstructive sleep apnea.

Do you know which type you have?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I had a sleep study done in 2015. They told me while i'm sleeping I stopped breathing 30 times per hour. When I'm dreaming I stopped breathing 50 Times an hour. They told me I have obstructive sleep apnea.

Obstructive sleep apnea is not caused by exposure to the burn pits but has many other causes with the most common being obesity.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

If not, please don't forget to leave a positive rating (bonus appreciated) as that's the only way I get credit for answering your question.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Could it be possible that the shots we were given to protect us against biological agents played a role in many of the conditions veterans are suffering from. You mention obesity as one cause, what are some others that cause this condition. My wife stated I've been having this issue for over twenty years. I'm about 25 to 30 pounds heavier than I was at that time.

What was in the shots that you were given?

These are some of the causes of sleep apnea aside from obesity:

• Your throat muscles and tongue relax more than normal.
  • Your tongue and tonsils (tissue masses in the back of your mouth) are large compared with the opening into your windpipe.
  • The shape of your head and neck (bony structure) may cause a smaller airway size in the mouth and throat area.
  • The aging process limits your brain signals' ability to keep your throat muscles stiff during sleep. Thus, your airway is more likely to narrow or collapse.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The problem with the vaccines is that I don't know what was in them. I really don't. This is a problem many vet's are dealing with.

I am sorry that you are dealing this right now.

What did they tell you they were for?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They said that one was for some type of parasite in the sand over there. With that shot we were not able to give blood for about ten years.

Very interesting.

I have not heard of that before.

There is no evidence that any medication or injection can cause obstructive sleep apnea.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

If not, please don't forget to leave a rating, thanks!