Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

I am worried. Today I was able to see my bloodwork online

Customer Question

I am worried. Today I was able to see my bloodwork online and have a few areas that are out of normal range.
JA: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: good
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.

Can you attach your blood results here ? i would be happy to help you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The tests results I am concerned about are:Creatinine was high at 1.5;
Albumin was high at 2.6
Globulin was low at 1.6
Protein was low at 5.7
eGRF Non-African American was low at 54

Thank you for the additional information, Can i ask did you have any urine tests done? If so were they normal? Any decrease in urine output over teh past few weeks? Any appetite changes? Any symptoms which you might have noticed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I only had bloodwork done. I have not had any of the other symptoms you talk about. Only thing different was I don't sleep well at night

Thanks for the response, ill just compose my answer and get back to you in a couple of minutes.

Actually there are couple of things which have to be considered, first actually your albumin level is low rather than being high, the normal range is between 3.5-5.5 g/dl and when this is taken in combination with your low proteins and low globulin levels alongwith the relatively high creatinine this could indicate that you have an underlying kidney disorder which is causing you to lose proteins in your urine. This would cause the decreased protein levels in your body as they are being lost in your urine. Secondly it would also cause damage to teh kidneys which would cause the creatinine to be raised and decrease your kidney function which is evidenced by your low GFR.

Now as to what is causing the problem, there are several things which can cause this. The first one is that your kidneys could be damaged to some medication that you have taken in the past or even due to an intrinsic renal disease like nephrotic syndrome. This would cause the kidneys to start leaking proteins. The next best step here is to get a urinary PC ratio or 24 hour urinary protein level done. Once those are done alongwith a renal ultrasound we will have a better idea as to what is causing teh problem. you should also get a urine analysis done as well which will help in diagnosis as well. You should definitely see a nephrologist for further workup here.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

Would you like to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.